Cherokee SRT8 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Daily Driver..........
1,837 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
i put in a new shift knob today and now my Jeep wont go into Reverse or Park. It does go into neutral and Drive. is there a way to mess up the tranny by pulling up or pushing down on the shifter knob?

·
Daily Driver..........
1,837 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
suggestions anyone? im stuck in my garage.

·
Daily Driver..........
1,837 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
it was a shift knob. i took off the stock knob and installed a billet one. its mechanically not going into gear. i dont want to force it (but i tried) and it still wont go.

·
Premium Member
377 Posts
Sounds either improperly machined or sitting too low and burrowing between the chrome trim, & binding.

A. Take the shifter knob off and see if its free FIRST. if not, you just broke a very expensive module. If good.. proceed to step B

B. If its held down with an allen set screw, raise the entire knob enough to clear, then tighten it. Check operation. If problem STill exists, proceed to step C

C. put back old shifter.

-Jim
Hemi Shop Director

·
Daily Driver..........
1,837 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)

·
Premium Member
377 Posts
That doesn't look too low at all. Actually it seems pretty high, almost out.
SHOULD clear at that height, Unless that behemoth of a knob is hitting the a/c bezel
!

See if its free to go through the selections.
TWIST THAT SOMBICH!

I hope that mechanism is still together

·
Daily Driver..........
1,837 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yeah, im not a weak guy. i pulled extremely hard and no dice. wtf?? is it stealership time? i pushed it out of my garage to see it if i drove it for a bit, that maybe it would be normal.. nope

·
That guy..
1,281 Posts
Did you drop a tool down there???

Did you twist the shaft and break it inside?

Its very hard to help you over the internet..

You pulled the old knob off, put a new one on, and now it doesnt go into gear..

Something obviously got screwed up in the process because Nothing with changing a shifter knob will cause this issue..

·
Daily Driver..........
1,837 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
yeah, thats why im confused. i tried getting that knob off with pliers and unscrewing it and it wont come off. i pulled straight up and it wont come off. i pushed down and tried to switch gears with the key in and the motor running. its like something is blocking it.

·
That guy..
1,281 Posts
lol, IDK man... Maybe load a video up? Of what your doing and what is going on?

I could see if you unbolted the shift selector, but you didnt.. so Idk what the problem is..

Did you hammer the new one on?

·
Daily Driver..........
1,837 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i pushed it down then i locked and i cant get it off. here is a video:

·
Premium Member
77 Posts

·
That guy..
1,281 Posts
Lol I was going to say, its on backwards..

Is the dash reading what gear its in?

Ide say you effed it up.. Seems broken..

Not too hard to pull the shifter out, its just one big electronic assembly..

Alot of people have takin them apart to clean the contacts.. seems like u have something cracked, or something is down in there..

·
Daily Driver..........
1,837 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
yeah, i can spin the knob. no matter which way i face it, it wont come back off. thanks for the knob kunta. does it have a hawaiin curse on it?....lol

·
Premium Member
377 Posts
gerd. .there is a park release mechanism underneath on the right side of the shifter. Its PINK on the LX, not sure on the jeeps. see if its broken or jammed up.. press it inwards a few times and see if it makes a difference. If your a little more handy, you can check the cable the comes out of the front (forward) pard of the shifter and see if that came out of place.
_jim

·
Daily Driver..........
1,837 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
im pretty sure nothing fell down there. if you can point me in the right direction, to taking this thing apart. ugh. i was not planning on this happening......crap :(

·
The Traveler
5,264 Posts
To get a quick look you can pop the chrome trim piece off around the shifter and thenradio bezel, then pop the climate control panel off, and then pop the rest of the plastic trim around the shifter. A small panel pry bar works great. Takes 30 seconds to do. Then you'll be able to see down around the shifter.

Some pictures I took from when I was wiring my radar detector in that show some of it.

·
Premium Member
77 Posts
Shift Knob

yeah, i can spin the knob. no matter which way i face it, it wont come back off. thanks for the knob kunta. does it have a hawaiin curse on it?....lol
Sorry to hear of your dilemma...........No Hawaiian curse! I have replaced shift knobs numerous times on my '07 without any problems. It seems like the park lock mechanism is broken. It's a plastic piece and I think it is "light green" on the Jeep.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts