Cherokee SRT8 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3,772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
On my way home last night the CEL came on. I didn't feel or hear anything weird so I drove all the way home. I plugged the Predator to pull the codes and got P0325 (Knock Sensor 1 circuit bank 1).
Feeling very defeated and frustrated, I did some research and found really nothing but a few pictures of how the knock sensor look like.
So today, I crawled under the Jeep to check the knock sensors. The wire leading up to the drivers side sensor is burnt and frayed, it's making contact with the headers.
Is BANK 1 the drivers side?

Just for the hell of it I wanted to see how the datalog would look like. The log is showing up to 10.5 LT KNK Retard but no ST KNK RETARD during regular driving. I never went WOT. I am definitely taking it to the dealership ASAP to get the wires and knock sensors replaced.
I'm so pissed right now but this could be what's causing all the knock that me and Johan are trying to figure out.

My question is, since I'm seeing LT KNK RETARD what else can cause this reading?
Just want to make sure everything is taken care of during the service.

Anyone had this problem?

Thanks

·
Registered
5,047 Posts
Driver side is bank 1. I would get that sensor fixed and make sure they put the insulator/heat shield back on. There is one for each sensor since they are so close to the exhaust. As for the LTKR, it might be a false reading since that sensor is grounding out on the header. I'd get the sensor replaced and log some data to see if its still there.

·
Straight Up Beast SON!!!
17,141 Posts
Driver side is bank 1. I would get that sensor fixed and make sure they put the insulator/heat shield back on. There is one for each sensor since they are so close to the exhaust. As for the LTKR, it might be a false reading since that sensor is grounding out on the header. I'd get the sensor replaced and log some data to see if its still there.
^^^ Listen to this man as he knows what he is talking about.....:D

·
Registered
3,772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It's at the dealership getting serviced right now.
They said they are going to repair the wires.

·
Registered
3,772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Update.....
My rig is still at the dealership. They had to take the front driveline, crossmember, the mid pipes and some other shit to get to the knock sensors.
The sensors are fine but the wires fu((ed. They've been working on it for 6 hours now, WTF.
We'll see what else they fine.

·
Registered
3,772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Got the Jeep back today. They fixed the burnt wire and tucked it in nicely behind the heat shield.
Here's the problem I'm still getting LT KNK during normal driving condition and 50% throttle, haven't gone WOT yet cause i'm scared to do so.

I'm getting .50 to 2.50 of LT KNK (getting up to 10.5 when the wires were burnt)during acceleration then goes away when there is no load on the engine.

What is causing the LT KNK? I am not getting ST KNK at all.
Should I start pulling spark plugs to check if any of them are bad? Just change the plugs less 2000 miles ago.
What do you guys think?

Thanks in advance.

·
Straight Up Beast SON!!!
17,141 Posts
Got the Jeep back today. They fixed the burnt wire and tucked it in nicely behind the heat shield.
Here's the problem I'm still getting LT KNK during normal driving condition and 50% throttle, haven't gone WOT yet cause i'm scared to do so.

I'm getting .50 to 2.50 of LT KNK (getting up to 10.5 when the wires were burnt)during acceleration then goes away when there is no load on the engine.

What is causing the LT KNK? I am not getting ST KNK at all.
Should I start pulling spark plugs to check if any of them are bad? Just change the plugs less 2000 miles ago.
What do you guys think?

Thanks in advance.
Well glad your wire were fixed! Not sure if this has been asked, but I will ask anyways.. What kind of gas and from what name brand gas station are you getting it from? The reason I ask is cuz I have seen people use cheap gas in there rigs and that has caused some LT know on there logs....

·
Registered
3,772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I only use Shell V-power.
Johan is really adamant about it. It's the only brand of gas I use.
Even if it is bad gas would it show up as LT KNK during normal driving?

·
Straight Up Beast SON!!!
17,141 Posts
I only use Shell V-power.
Johan is really adamant about it. It's the only brand of gas I use.
Even if it is bad gas would it show up as LT KNK during normal driving?
Oh ok.... Yeah if you had bad or old gas you would get some LT knock even if you are not at WOT.... Something must still be up then......

·
Registered
3,772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I did put octane booster two weeks ago, but already refilled the tank.
Could that shit go bad in the tank?

·
Straight Up Beast SON!!!
17,141 Posts
I did put octane booster two weeks ago, but already refilled the tank.
Could that shit go bad in the tank?
I would have thought that it would be out of the tank by now, but you never know... Did you do any logging prior to putting in that octane booster?

·
Registered
3,772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The log I did prior to the ontance booster showed 1.0 LT KNK at around 4500RPM during 4th gear at WOT. Nothing showing on normal driving.
I took it to the track that's why I added about some octane booster (NOS).
It ran fine, got rid of the LT KNK during the 1/4 mile pass. Other than that I didn't change anything.
Check the plugs to see how they look, no?

·
Straight Up Beast SON!!!
17,141 Posts
The log I did prior to the ontance booster showed 1.0 LT KNK at around 4500RPM during 4th gear at WOT. Nothing showing on normal driving.
I took it to the track that's why I added about some octane booster (NOS).
It ran fine, got rid of the LT KNK during the 1/4 mile pass. Other than that I didn't change anything.
Check the plugs to see how they look, no?
Oh ok got ya.... hehehe... Running out of ideas here.....

·
Registered
3,772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Johan said to put the toon back in. I hope it's just the stock tune causing all the knocking.

·
Registered
3,772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Update.....
Put the toon back in and guess what the LT knock is gone. I haven't done a WOT run but it's running like it should during normal driving.

Anybody else have LT knock on their stock tune?

·
Registered
139 Posts
i have a very similar problem, have knock with stock and 93 oct. tune

setting up for a seafoam, plug change, and catch can already changed the passenger knock sensor no improvement.

will try the 91 on lunch just to see. REALLY annoying getting 4* of knock just normal driving.

any new results for you?

·
Premium Member
616 Posts
Also having a similar problem with both ST and LT knock readings on the stock tune. I would like to check out my knock sensor wires to make sure there are no issues. Do you have a link or pic on where exactly these are located?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts