Cherokee SRT8 Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks- swapping tires here, but due to glitch at discount tire I only got the correct 315-35-20 rears, which I had installed. I need to wait another week or two for the new correct fronts (275-40-20). In the meantime I still have the stock badyear fronts.

Will I be doing damage to my tranny/diff by driving around on the bigger rears for a few weeks until I get the correct fronts?

Thanks for your help! I did search the forums but couldn't find anything directly on this topic.

Best, -Jeff-

BTW: picked up a set of those Atturo/Federals, they are pretty sweet looking IMHO. My local Discount Tire did a price-match on the Atturo prices selling from the onlinetires site.

· Marathon Man
3,229 Posts
Why not wait until you have all 4 matching tires?

· Super Moderator
11,086 Posts
I ran a new set of 275 Vreds on the front with the factory rears on a road course and have had no issues a couple years ago. + or - 3% is the rule of thumb

· Super Moderator
11,086 Posts
I think you want to run the stock fronts 255, and the 315's in the rear. Is that right. you can't do that. You will hurt your TC bad!!!
Who are you asking?

· Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
so you guys are pretty sure if I leave the 315's on the rear for a few weeks (while my 255's are still on the front) it will screw up my transfer case then?

It was just a brain-fart on my side, decided to green-light the rears even though the fronts aren't here yet...didn't think about the stagger issue until after the rears were mounted up already.

I don't want to pay to have them taken off, then remounted in a few weeks... I am thinking about just pulling the transfer case motor while I wait for my fronts to get in. I saw on the burnout thread that I can do that with 4 bolts and a plug.

· Registered
218 Posts
I had factory size and the rear tires had almost no tread left and the fronts were new, and it was making my transfer case make a horrible grinding/vibration noise that took me a while to figure out, I would of never thought it was the tires, replaced my tires and boom it is fixed, but I still think I did damage to it though.... Just my personal experience though. I don't know about the removing the tc motor, never done that before.

Sent from my HTC Sensation 4G using AutoGuide.com App

· Registered
400 Posts
Any issues with running stock size tires in front (non-runflat) and stock Goodyears out back?

· Premium Whore (Lifetime)
3,065 Posts
What issues will running this set up cause?

Erratic ride, poor handling, vibrations. Runflats, and non-runflats have completely different ride and handling charachteristics from each other. You also should not mix different brands of tires on the same vehicle. All 4 tires should be the exact same tread pattern, and speed rating. You must also pay close attention to overall diameter of the tires, not just the size.......just because a tire is the same size, does not necessarily mean it has the exact same overall diameter as the factory tire.

· Registered
400 Posts
Erratic ride, poor handling, vibrations. Runflats, and non-runflats have completely different ride and handling charachteristics from each other. You also should not mix different brands of tires on the same vehicle. All 4 tires should be the exact same tread pattern, and speed rating. You must also pay close attention to overall diameter of the tires, not just the size.......just because a tire is the same size, does not necessarily mean it has the exact same overall diameter as the factory tire.

Thanks for the input... I was just worried it would cause some TC or tranny issues. Erratic ride, poor handling and vibrations aren't good, but it is something I could live with for a short time if I had to wait for a back order.

I've had cars with different brands - front / rear and didn't experience any issues, but they were RWD cars. When I had I-forged wheels on my Viper - a back order caused me to go with Mich Pilots in the rear and Goodyears up front and I had no issues. I've also had street tires up front on my Vettes and had DR's on the back - no issues with those either. I know having a tire up front that isn't as sticky will push in corners and tires with less grip out back will kick the azz end out. (The latter is more fun in my experience...lol)

I know with AWD it is different and wasn't sure how it would effect the TC / Tranny.

· Premium Whore (Lifetime)
3,065 Posts
I know with AWD it is different and wasn't sure how it would effect the TC / Tranny.

Yeah, I've run different DR's on the back of plenty of my RWD cars. That's a different story though, as DRs are usually only put on for race day......not to drive all day everyday.
Where this is AWD, I wouldn't mix the two. Handling will be twitchy, rebound over bumps will be different front to back.
Check the wear on your rear tires before you do anything. Another member recently changed his 2 front tires, but not the rears. He started getting a grinding noise from his transfer case because the existing tires were worn down too much, and the new tires were a larger overall diameter because of the wear. He replaced the other 2 tires, and like magic the noise went away.

· Registered
400 Posts
Yeah, I've run different DR's on the back of plenty of my RWD cars. That's a different story though, as DRs are usually only put on for race day......not to drive all day everyday.
Where this is AWD, I wouldn't mix the two. Handling will be twitchy, rebound over bumps will be different front to back.
Check the wear on your rear tires before you do anything. Another member recently changed his 2 front tires, but not the rears. He started getting a grinding noise from his transfer case because the existing tires were worn down too much, and the new tires were a larger overall diameter because of the wear. He replaced the other 2 tires, and like magic the noise went away.
Thanks for the info!

· Registered
2,211 Posts
Just disconnect your TC actuator motor and drive it in 2wd. That will save your TC. When you get your new tires, hook it back up.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.