Cherokee SRT8 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Its around 5 degrees out (its colorado in the winter.) I normally remote start and let the jeep warm up. It didn't remote start. When I went to start it I have all power options but nothing when I try to turn her over. No clicks or even an attempt for her to start. Please help. :(

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
The first thing I would check is the battery... If you still have the factory battery. One cell goes bad and it does some really funny stuff...

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I had to go to work and luckily I have another truck. But its wierd, never had any issues before. Probably the original battery. I'll check the starter relay when I get home as well as jump it and have the battery tested. Any other ideas gentlemen?

·
Speed Junkie
483 Posts
I had to go to work and luckily I have another truck. But its wierd, never had any issues before. Probably the original battery. I'll check the starter relay when I get home as well as jump it and have the battery tested. Any other ideas gentlemen?
It's been my experience that cold weather will expose any problems a battery might have, everything will work ok until that shot of severe cold comes , if it is a stock battery I would almost bet on it.
I know it's cold in Colorado but I would guess and say this is the coldest of the season so far and it will kill a sick battery get it checked and if you replace go the extra step and spend a little more and look at a Optima battery yellow or red top.

·
Registered
340 Posts
had the same problem yesterday. I stopped for gas. After I filled up, I went to start the Jeep and nothing happened. All lights worked. Was getting an error message of Tranny Over Temp. Waited for 10 minutes and it fired up just fine. I was reading that there might be some issues with the Fuse Box? Anyone else know about this?

·
Banned
1,990 Posts
had the same problem yesterday. I stopped for gas. After I filled up, I went to start the Jeep and nothing happened. All lights worked. Was getting an error message of Tranny Over Temp. Waited for 10 minutes and it fired up just fine. I was reading that there might be some issues with the Fuse Box? Anyone else know about this?
Yes I have, was talking with an 07 owner a few months back. Same prob-no response from the key. Turned out to be a shorted fuse box. Found this out after testing battery and starter. So first step for the op, would be to check the battery.

·
Premium Member
17,140 Posts
I'll bet 1 MILLION dollars that it's your battery. Esp. if it's old. Our batteries are notorious for going out if they're older and the cold weather hits. If you get it cranked and go to the dealer, chances are it'll check out fine. Once it sits for a little bit, it'll be dead. Trust me. I've been through 3 of them now. All have done the EXACT same thing you're saying. It's common. I had the dealer check my first 2 a few times. They kept saying it was fine until it finally wouldn't restart it. I parked it in the middle of the service bay and shut it off. Told them to go restart it. They finally got the point.:D

A dead cell in a battery will cause havoc on our trucks. I've talked to PLENTY of people with all kinds of lights and warnings pop up. They install a new battery and all is good. Our electrical systems need a perfect battery or all hell breaks loose.

·
Registered
3,086 Posts
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ what harry said^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
^^^^ Told ya :)

Did you know I sent this from my Autoguide iPhone app!

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Tried to jump it, that was a no go. Had the battery tested. They said it had an 80% charge but I'm going to purchase an Optima Redtop 34R and see what happens. I'll also check the starter relay when I get home from autozone.

·
Speed Junkie
483 Posts
You may have to do a little adjusting to your battery clamps, if I remember right the optima red top is smaller than stock battery so it's a longer reach for your cables Clamps may need a little straightening.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well the battery didn't do. I get one click out of it. That's it :(

·
Registered
630 Posts
hey fella, might be the same situation i had on my way to the dealership, coldest morning we've had up here this past saturday. i had all power options, just wouldnt start, one of the other members told me try wiggling the harness that runs from the starter up to the back of the fuse box, (closest to the firewall) few wiggles i got some more action from it...couple more wiggles, and boom she started right up...even did it again at the dealership, they said throwing a low voltage code, and it wont start, i said wiggle the harness to the fuse box, and it started for him. the other tech said 07 and 08's is when they changed the starters on these along with the clips, instead of bolts, which over time the clips corrode..and contact gets iffy...try it out..

·
Registered
630 Posts
I'll bet 1 MILLION dollars that it's your battery. Esp. if it's old. Our batteries are notorious for going out if they're older and the cold weather hits. If you get it cranked and go to the dealer, chances are it'll check out fine. Once it sits for a little bit, it'll be dead. Trust me. I've been through 3 of them now. All have done the EXACT same thing you're saying. It's common. I had the dealer check my first 2 a few times. They kept saying it was fine until it finally wouldn't restart it. I parked it in the middle of the service bay and shut it off. Told them to go restart it. They finally got the point.:D

A dead cell in a battery will cause havoc on our trucks. I've talked to PLENTY of people with all kinds of lights and warnings pop up. They install a new battery and all is good. Our electrical systems need a perfect battery or all hell breaks loose.
Harrison how can we divide the funds up here,...he bought the battery, = no go = 1 million dollars lol

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
Tried to jump it, that was a no go. Had the battery tested. They said it had an 80% charge but I'm going to purchase an Optima Redtop 34R and see what happens. I'll also check the starter relay when I get home from autozone.
Just one click? It's your starter, trust me. I just did this 3 days ago. You can call me if you want, I'll tell you everything to make this as painless as possible.

·
Registered
665 Posts
I did my starter 3 weeks ago was doing the same thing did the Battary first was OK for 2 days and then got stuck again . New from dealer was $170 got a discount $140 taxes in . took and hour to change on the ground . PITA but works great now .

·
Registered
200 Posts
Same issue

What a coincidence. I have the same issue today. Picked up my kid from school and tried to fire it back up and it was dead.....

I had my battery replaced like 18 months ago. Is it possible that my battery can be fried again.

Also I got 1-3 mild cranks but then nothing after that.

This is the 2nd time in 4 months my car has stranded me. Im really starting to consider dumping it. I HATE being stranded. It took the Chrysler 4 hours to get the car.

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
If it turned over 3 times it's probably not the starter. Battery is your first bet, but you may be in for something else. Get it jumped, if it fires up battery, if it goes click once - starter, if it turns over and won't start then you tow it to the dealer.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts