Cherokee SRT8 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 131 Posts

·
Registered
11,229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Getting my Headers installed on Friday , so for those who has done it or knows anything about it , your input will be much appreciated . Anything that can make the install easier than trying to school our self's ;) Joyeclutch you're next in line so get with the program here hehe .

Thanks in advance :)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hello Everyone,

This is my first post here. I am the Tech that will be installing the headers (full length) on Paul's Jeep. I have two plans in mind for this header install, but would love to hear from some of you who have actually done it before I choose which path to take. Thanks in advance for your time.

Chris

·
Premium Member
2,180 Posts
Well Good Luck haha jk... It took my installer like 18 hours. The drivers side was the hardest with all the AWD stuff bc of the really tight space. He didnt say much about the install other than be patient and have a couple beers lol.

·
Registered
11,229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well Good Luck haha jk... It took my installer like 18 hours. The drivers side was the hardest with all the AWD stuff bc of the really tight space. He didnt say much about the install other than be patient and have a couple beers lol.
18 hours , did he have his eyes Shut ? :D

They are a royal PITA to install, unless youre doing the heads at the same time.. Be very careful installing the gaskets... Ive had to replace my kooks gaskets 4 times already!
Did you use stock gaskets ?

·
Registered
5,848 Posts
Something that just popped into my noggin...

There was talk the other day about header bolts backing out. Well I was browsing though my Summit catalog and saw some header bolts that had a set screw in the end that would expand the stud to prevent loosening. Might be snake oil, but I'll look them up if anyone's interested.

Back to our regularly scheduled thread...

wink

·
Registered
4,161 Posts
I hope you have small hands if not carry a buddy in the tool box who has small hands! its a biotch..motor has to lift up about 2 1/2" or so on both sides,I did it that way. the driver side will be a major pain as the starter & drive shaft & crossmember all had to come off.the driver side is where I used my buddy with the small hands as he could reach & bend his hands & arms in places where I could not get too.expect some scrapes & mabe some cuts on your hands & arms...it will all be worth it in the end.use lots of extensions,universals both 1/4" & 3/8",ratchet wrenches swivel heads best,open end wrench.mine took about 6 hours on the passanger side & 8 hours on the driver side....Good luck!

·
Premium Member
2,180 Posts
18 hours , did he have his eyes Shut ? :D
haha I was wondering that myself lol. He works mostly on mustangs but does the work right for a good price.

I went with the oem gaskets since the kooks ones were junk and I did stage 8 locking header bolts. You are going to love the sound and extra power you see when they are finally in.

·
Registered
11,229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
haha I was wondering that myself lol. He works mostly on mustangs but does the work right for a good price.

I went with the oem gaskets since the kooks ones were junk and I did stage 8 locking header bolts. You are going to love the sound and extra power you see when they are finally in.
Send me info on where you got those stage 8 locking header bolts please , Happy to hear about the power results ;)

Thanks

·
Registered
4,161 Posts
I think Pizza guy posted a great thread on how his tech dropped the engine & suspensions sub member..he had pictures posted as well. dont know if it was any faster though.I thought of that idea too but didnt wanna remove the rack & pinion,control arms etc..

·
Registered
11,229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Something that just popped into my noggin...

There was talk the other day about header bolts backing out. Well I was browsing though my Summit catalog and saw some header bolts that had a set screw in the end that would expand the stud to prevent loosening. Might be snake oil, but I'll look them up if anyone's interested.

Back to our regularly scheduled thread...

wink
Nice heads up Wink .

I hope you have small hands if not carry a buddy in the tool box who has small hands! its a biotch..motor has to lift up about 2 1/2" or so on both sides,I did it that way. the driver side will be a major pain as the starter & drive shaft & crossmember all had to come off.the driver side is where I used my buddy with the small hands as he could reach & bend his hands & arms in places where I could not get too.expect some scrapes & mabe some cuts on your hands & arms...it will all be worth it in the end.use lots of extensions,universals both 1/4" & 3/8",ratchet wrenches swivel heads best,open end wrench.mine took about 6 hours on the passanger side & 8 hours on the driver side....Good luck!
Small hands uh ? I might have to get Jose down here hahah :D JK . Well as for tools Chris is surrounded by state of the art lift and tools for this install , Thanks for the input .

·
Registered
11,229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
No prob man!

Looks like they have several sets, so which ones you'd need I got no clue, but it looked like a novel solution.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/PHP-21003/?rtype=10

wink
MDSpeed has these witch a member recommended ( KingOfTheRoad09 )

Stage 8 Locking Header Bolts - 6.1L and 5.7L Hemi Engines
Part #: STG-8916

Yes Sir, After the 3rd time replacing the Kooks gaskets, I went OEM now they are perfect!
Thanks , that is what we are using , OEM Gaskets .

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
I've heard its a PITA and not the first person I've heard say it took over 10 hours. Best approach would have been doin with your cam swap. Like it was mentioned earlier you could possibly unbolt the engine and lift up the one side to gain more room. GL

·
Registered
5,848 Posts

Bit Rube Goldbergish, if you know what I mean. But you'll have the little handed buddy to assemble all the pieces and deal with the friggin' c-clips. LOL! The other ones look easier, but the question that hasn't been asked, what keeps the set screws from backing out. :cool:

wink

·
Registered
749 Posts
Yes Sir, After the 3rd time replacing the Kooks gaskets, I went OEM now they are perfect!
Stainless Works did mine. It was a two day job. I had two sets of OEM gaskets and needed them both because putting the driver side header in without marring the gasket is tough. First attempt chewed up the gasket. No problem if you have another set. So I would have a backup set ready just in case.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Oh boy Paul you chose a fun mod to do...

Remove the front tires and fender well liners.

First thing to do is to remove all the old crap...pretty easy part.

Next you are going to need to heat shield everything near the headers.

Starter, starter wires, knock sensor wires, alternator wires.

Now unbolt the motor mounts and raise the engine until it touches the firewall. Be careful not to pinch or damage any wiring!

Once lifted you should be able to insert the header. If not shift the engine to the side. then insert header. shift to other side insert other header.

Lower engine then carefully slide the OEM gaskets in from underneath and bolt them up. Remember you will not be able to full bolt them up until you lower the engine. Bolting them up is best accessed through the inner fender wells but it's still a major PIA. Once in you are going to have to mod the oil dipstick mount and route it around the header.

Sounds easy but just wait till you try to get to those header bolts they put behind the primaries...lol.

It sucks but it's worth it in the end and your going to need a small handed friend as mentioned earlier!

2 full days of blood, sweat and foul language.

Go through a few heat cycles (couple weeks) and re-tighten the bolts...check yearly and you should be golden.

·
PWR - Boosted & Stroked
8,565 Posts
Don't have mine on yet but my brother-n-law who's an excellent mechanic has looked everything over & seems to think if you cut the stock mid pipes out you wont have to undue cross member & then support the tranny/transfer case. He has a plasma cutter. Again haven't done it yet so don't know if this will work or not, will be doing it in the garage so been waiting on it to get cooler. He also said a small dab of grease will hold the Stage 8 clips in place until they can be tightened. Says it burns off right away & doesn't hurt anything.
Jim

·
Registered
301 Posts

Thanks , that is what we are using , OEM Gaskets .
Hey Paul I ordered mine yesterday and they will be here on Friday got the from Maryland speed they sent them out 10 min after I ordered them that's good give chris some practice before he does mine in a couple of weeks

1 - 20 of 131 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.