Cherokee SRT8 Forum banner

Have you switched away from runflats?

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 154 Posts

·
Premium Member
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are you still running the stock tires/stock replacement tires or have you gone with a non run flat?

A secondary question might be: if you switched, how do you plan to deal with a flat tire? And another: Are you happy you made the switch?

·
Registered
86 Posts
ekool said:
Are you still running the stock tires/stock replacement tires or have you gone with a non run flat?
And I will add, for those who have switched, how do you like the difference, and how do you plan to deal with a flat? Can't be formally included in the poll, but I am curious...Bob

·
Registered
5,488 Posts
I had to replace two front tires last week and ended up just going with stock replacements. I couldn't drop the extra $400 on the 275/40 Michelin run-flats.

·
Registered
82 Posts
ekool said:

A secondary question might be: if you switched, how do you plan to deal with a flat tire? And another: Are you happy you made the switch?
I love the new Michelins and will use a flat kit which includes plugin air pump and sealant for emgcys John

·
Registered
66 Posts
No change to stock, but after only 1500 miles... why would I?

·
Registered
440 Posts
I going to change to toyo R1

·
Premium Member
5,797 Posts
john schillaci said:
I love the new Michelins and will use a flat kit which includes plugin air pump and sealant for emgcys John
At 13k I still have a fair amount of life left in the originals.
I believe I will also do the Michelins & flat kit....seems like the best alternative.

I bet the ride difference is noticeable with the Michelins.
Bill

·
Registered
800 Posts
After completely burning off the tread on my stock "Pirelli PZero Scorpion" runflats, I was forced to go to a stock sized non-runflat. I'm pretty convinced my tires were factory defective due to some unusual wear conditions. Litterally, I had chunks of rubber disappearing and every tire was showing severe road damage. Granted I did race two full days at BIC raceway. I managed to burn off the stock brakes as well all within 6000 miles. The last straw was one of the Pirelli's developed a serious looking buldge so I ended up going with Goodyear F1 Supercar tires.... 245/45ZR/20's. My brakes are embarrasingly loud and there really is no good place to do a proper bedding. So, tomorrow I am planning on hitting the track again. As for the non-runflat issue. My wife is super paranoid that I could be killed along side the road changing a flat...so I'll carry plugs along with a can of fix a flat. In the mean time, I am looking to buy stock wheels US spec'd. I don't care what tire so long as they are runflats and these will become my track tires. :)

·
Premium Member
2,921 Posts
I'm staying with stock, I like them.
As a sidenote the way I'm handling the spare issue is

I bought one of these front tires (well actually a rear too but not gonna mount it till I need it.)

Then I bought a front rim as it will fit the rear also

Then I bought one of these

Then had it all mounted and will stay in my garage until I have a long road trip then it will reside in the back.

One thing I found out about the tires and rims in my area is the needed tire machines to install these tires are few and far in between.

Jeff

·
Registered
338 Posts
Will not have the run flats, just makes the ride to rough. This thing is stiff to begin with, it has to be to handle like it does. It does not have to beat me to death with run flats. I have a extra front rim for a spare, but do not carry it unless leaving town.

·
Registered
928 Posts
I swapped the runflats for the 315/35/20 and 275/40/20 Toyo Proxes S/T and love it! The truck is now a pleasure to drive and no more harsh ride and tracking with the grooves in the road. Definitely a beautiful thing, the jeep rides better that my wifes Pacifica. For a spare I have a compressor and sealer and "DynaPlug" the new way to do nail repairs yourself. When looking into the runflats and finding people that deal with them are few and far between. If I was on a trip in the middle of nowhere and needed the runflats repaired it would be very difficult to find a place to do the work. It takes special equipment and a trained tech. With normal tires any tire place can do the fix, but if you get a fast leak or blowout you may be in trouble.
Do I worry about it?.....nope. Would I get rid of the Toyos?......nope.

·
Registered
928 Posts
I swapped the runflats for the 315/35/20 and 275/40/20 Toyo Proxes S/T and love it! The truck is now a pleasure to drive and no more harsh ride and tracking with the grooves in the road. Definitely a beautiful thing, the jeep rides better that my wifes Pacifica. For a spare I have a compressor and sealer and "DynaPlug" the new way to do nail repairs yourself. When looking into the runflats and finding people that deal with them are few and far between. If I was on a trip in the middle of nowhere and needed the runflats repaired it would be very difficult to find a place to do the work. It takes special equipment and a trained tech. With normal tires any tire place can do the fix, but if you get a fast leak or blowout you may be in trouble.
Do I worry about it?.....nope. Would I get rid of the Toyos?......nope. On a side note if any one is looking I have 4 used runflats for sale. PM me.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Using Sealer on a run flat ???

Would using sealer or (gunk) on a jeep (or any car/truck) with the tire pressure monitoring system clog up the pressure monitor? Not quite sure how that system works.

·
Registered
928 Posts
Godiwant1 said:
Would using sealer or (gunk) on a jeep (or any car/truck) with the tire pressure monitoring system clog up the pressure monitor? Not quite sure how that system works.
Continental makes the pump and sealer kit with a latex sealant material that can be washed out after the tire has been repaired and works with TPMS sensors.

·
Banned
842 Posts
No Way Run Flats!!

There is NO WAY I would ever go back to those miserable stiff riding run flats. Why in the world did they select this tire for the Jeep to begin with?!?!?!!!!! The Magnum has no spare either but they did not select run flats for it. Justa pump.....green fix a flat and a 800-tow you number. The Michelins and it sounds like the Toyo's as well give the Jeep the ride and handling it should have had to begin with........like i said......my interior doesnt wear coffee any more!!

·
Registered
928 Posts
Steve the truck looks good! Where did you get that chrome fuel door?

·
Registered
512 Posts
i had that gas door on my srt4 actually.... it came off a limited PT cruiser and I believe I still have it let me check. If i do I will take $15 + Shipping. K?

·
Banned
842 Posts
luvr 6.1 said:
Steve the truck looks good! Where did you get that chrome fuel door?
Dealer.......stock part.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Has anyone switched to the Michelin run flats? How do they compare to the Goodyears?

I feel like I have to stick with run flats, I can't afford to lose anytime on the road. I'm offroading on job sites almost everyday, and flats are just a part of it. I can't wait for a tow truck and need the option on going to my next job site before heading in for a repair. It pretty much comes down to the Jeep being my daily driver/company car and not losing sight of how important it's reliability is.

1 - 20 of 154 Posts