Cherokee SRT8 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yawn yawn yawn! Question time again :)
I’ve read loads of threads on cai and it panel filters and have ordered a k&n drop in for the time being. I intend to fabricate a heat wall to reach the bonnet as Hemi Cruiser has when I get to that point, but, have any long term owners actually returned to stock due to ‘real’ loss of power that’s documented when using an open filter ?
I’ve done this myself on previous cars due to rough idle when temps are high.

·
Registered
104 Posts
There is no loss of power with a CAI unless you use one that is more restrictive to air flow or somehow interfere with other plumbing in the area.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ta.
To add some of my own info that I wrote in an abandoned thread becuase I'm a loser:

My SRT is totally stock (Night Edition) other than a K&N drop-in filter. No additional sound or feel over the paper filter, but....................I'm not really one for straight line performance as I'm a devil in the twisties, yet after installing the drop-in my 0-60mph standing start seems to have improved. I've had a few runs at this on an empty back road in the middle of the countryside and previously I saw 4.6 and 4.5secs. Now I'm gettign 4.3 seconds 0-60mph 😀
-That is also with a full tank of petrol I might add so if the Jeep was lighter I'm sure the time might improve a fraction.
I can't see how a cone filter could improve this time, or am I mistaken?.............................................
For now the stock box shall remain.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Power is merely a calculation of how fast you make torque. Removing or reducing a restriction allows for more airflow and thus more fuel (when measured over time) and reduces the load on 2 of the piston's strokes thus increasing the rate at which torque is made. Turbulence and intake/throttle/head port design are bigger factors than the filter and are almost always the limiting factor.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Indeed. Why manufacturers like K&N claim an increase of 28bhp is beyond me. And yet I bought one 🙃
It's fair to say I'm blown away by how the Jeep lifts its skirt when I hoof the throttle, barely any hesitation at all, for a n/a motor I can't see how it could be bettered.
I'm sticking with the oem airbox ta, gonna save the money I'd waste and put towards a meth kit hopefully.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Indeed. Why manufacturers like K&N claim an increase of 28bhp is beyond me. And yet I bought one 🙃
It's fair to say I'm blown away by how the Jeep lifts its skirt when I hoof the throttle, barely any hesitation at all, for a n/a motor I can't see how it could be bettered.
I'm sticking with the oem airbox ta, gonna save the money I'd waste and put towards a meth kit hopefully.
Putting meth on a n/a engine is a bigger waste of money than a cai.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts