Cherokee SRT8 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

· Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
The next two weekends, I will be installing the AAC CCFL 10000k halos with rocker switches in the dash above the little cubby hole on the right of the steering wheel. The switches will control high, low, and fog halos. 3 seperate switches for each pair of halos. I need to find a constant power source from the fuse box under the dash. Any Ideas which one I should use? I will be posting pictures and a DIY install guide. Thanx, any other tips I should know from those who have done it, please post.

· Registered
2,972 Posts
you can run either a powerwire or just a ground wire to the switch. what kind of switches did you get? do they light up? if not just use the ground wire to turn them on/off. if they do, you can use the cig lighter wire. the halos dont draw too much power.

· Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I got the round rocker switches with the little LED light on it. Il have to ground the switches to get the light to work i believe.did you connect the inverters from the Halos to the HID's or the stock wiring?

you can run either a powerwire or just a ground wire to the switch. what kind of switches did you get? do they light up? if not just use the ground wire to turn them on/off. if they do, you can use the cig lighter wire. the halos dont draw too much power.

· Registered
1,069 Posts
The next two weekends, I will be installing the AAC CCFL 10000k halos with rocker switches in the dash above the little cubby hole on the right of the steering wheel. The switches will control high, low, and fog halos. 3 seperate switches for each pair of halos. I need to find a constant power source from the fuse box under the dash. Any Ideas which one I should use? I will be posting pictures and a DIY install guide. Thanx, any other tips I should know from those who have done it, please post.
Nice! Look forward to seeing the pictures. Sounds like the same area I put my switches for my custom LED lights. I wanted to use the little round rocker switches, but I couldn't fit 4 in that cubby hole.

· Registered
2,972 Posts
i ran my own wire from the battery, then grounded them. Then i spliced each power wire of each inverter into that 1 wire. Then each ground wire went to the controlbox. If you wanted, you could run a wire from the battery or fuse box under the hood to inside the cab. Under the carpet is a rubber plug where you can bring the wire in. If not, id say the easiest to get to is the cig lighter. then go to each inverter

· Super Moderator
11,085 Posts
Nice! Look forward to seeing the pictures. Sounds like the same area I put my switches for my custom LED lights. I wanted to use the little round rocker switches, but I couldn't fit 4 in that cubby hole.
Aren't yours left of the steering wheel, Matt? :silly:

· Registered
1,069 Posts
Aren't yours left of the steering wheel, Matt? :silly:
LOL. That's correct. Did not read that. I forgot about THAT little cubby hole. LOL

In that case.....to the O.P. I would try to stick them in the cubby hole next left of the steering wheel considering you have much better access for getting the wires under the steering wheel. Plus that way if you ever decide to get rid of the switches, it's much cheaper to buy one of those cubby hole pieces verses having holes in your dash and more hidden.

· Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yea I see what you are saying, but to be honest I don't see me ever getting rid of them. If I get rid of the halos, than ill just find another use for them. Just to be clear, I'm talking about that little area right above the cubby whole, below the air vent. It should be pretty easy access for wiring too. I am a complete newb to wiring and this kind of stuff so it should be interesting. It Can't be too hard lol....

LOL. That's correct. Did not read that. I forgot about THAT little cubby hole. LOL

In that case.....to the O.P. I would try to stick them in the cubby hole next left of the steering wheel considering you have much better access for getting the wires under the steering wheel. Plus that way if you ever decide to get rid of the switches, it's much cheaper to buy one of those cubby hole pieces verses having holes in your dash and more hidden.

· Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I think I'm just going from the cig lighter to the switch to the inverter. But isn't the cig lighter higher amperage? Will it be bad for the LEDs in the switch?

i ran my own wire from the battery, then grounded them. Then i spliced each power wire of each inverter into that 1 wire. Then each ground wire went to the controlbox. If you wanted, you could run a wire from the battery or fuse box under the hood to inside the cab. Under the carpet is a rubber plug where you can bring the wire in. If not, id say the easiest to get to is the cig lighter. then go to each inverter

· Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Scratch that, I'm just gonna run it straight from the battery to the switch. Il just put a 3 amp fuse on the positive wire. It seems a lot more reliable that way and less risk on burning the LEDs on the switches. The only thing is, how do I get one wire to three switches? Do I put power to one switch and than link the other two switches to the one with power?

· Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hey Dan question: could I put the power wire from the battery on one switch, and than link the other two switches to the switch with the power wire directly connected to it? Can I do that with the ground too? Or do I need to individually ground all three with seperate wires and power all three with seperate wires?

· Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well all done except for I snapped the low beam for the right side! >: (
So far they look unfrekinbelievable! Definately glad I went with the CCFLs. They glow perfectly IMO. Now just hoping I get longevity out of them. So Just waiting on the bulb and ill post up everything with lots of pics on DIY. And I re-read the post earlier, I meant to say the cubby on the left of the steering wheel. Sorry lol it's similar to Jeep Trick's Switches.

· Registered
2,972 Posts
lol gotta love those sensitive CCFL's! my 2nd time around i was super careful!! mine have been great so far. Look amazing at night and day time. No issues except that one of them came loose, so i need to open the light back up and put more epoxy on it. i guess i didnt use enough.

· Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks man!

That's sucksss! I put plenty on mine because I never want to have to open these things again. The 08's are an absolute pain in the ass to take apart. Let's hope they never come loose. But like you said, pictures just don't justify how these things look in day or night.

lol gotta love those sensitive CCFL's! my 2nd time around i was super careful!! mine have been great so far. Look amazing at night and day time. No issues except that one of them came loose, so i need to open the light back up and put more epoxy on it. i guess i didnt use enough.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.