Cherokee SRT8 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, I currently own an 06 Pontiac GTO.. The time has come for me to let her go :( Bought a house, wedding on the way, you know how it goes. So i would never even think about getting rid of her unless i was getting something equally as awesome as a goat. Which brings me here, i found an 07 w/ 45k on it for $29k. Clean, rides great, new breaks, tires and service. One thing that stood out like a sore thumb was a pretty serious ticking noise from the motor. The ticking is constant and when parked and the gas pressed the ticking becomes faster as the rpms go up. I fell in love with the car but that ticking worried me.. I figured this board would follow suit with ls2gto.com as far as everyone being extremely helpful and supportive. Any comments, suggestions id greatly appreciate it! Thanks!

Anything else i should really look for when i go back for a second look? It is through a used dealership too, not Jeep.

·
Daily Driver..........
1,837 Posts
did it have enough oil in it?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thats what i was thinking, i didnt check the stick but they had said they literally just got it back from the shop to do tires, pads, and oil change. Im also thinking maybe they were putting Regular in for gas.

·
Daily Driver..........
1,837 Posts
it would run like [email protected] if they put regular (86) in it. i have never hear a ticking from my engine. hope they used synthetic when they changed the oil.

·
That'l Buff Out
1,559 Posts
id say you could take them down even more from there too, if that is a problem maybe even more. i got my 08 with 24k for less than that, good luck on the new jeep man! my friend has a blue 6.0 goat and its awesome!

·
Registered
418 Posts
ticking is normal with HEMI engines, check the fluids and if you want to be 100% sure pay some money and get a compression check done, better loose a cpl of hundreds than $29k...good luck

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Got it, thanks everyone.. ill have to look further into it. I know certain engines ie hemi will have a tick, took time for me to get use to the LS2 whine.. i just think it doesnt sound like if it were a brand spankin new truck it would make a ticking like that.. im hoping its the oil or gas problem and not anything serious : /

·
Registered
418 Posts
the tickin is more noticable at 0w-40 oil, i started to use 5w-40 and just slight tickin when its cold..i think you will be fine IMO

1 - 9 of 9 Posts