Cherokee SRT8 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's been over 5yrs & I'm getting the itch for a change. I'd consider myself a Mopar person (or at least American muscle), but I'm open to everything at this point. I've had 4WD/AWD DD's for so long I don't want RWD, especially living in NY. I may drive whatever I get in the winter a once in a while. I have less than 16000 on my WK. I'm looking at used GT-R's('09-'11 stock), the prices are similar to what a WK2(stock) would cost new. I don't need a SUV, but winter driving/ground clearance could be an issue. I have a work van I could use in the bad weather (sweet Caravan :) ). I'm in no hurry to change now, & I may not. I'm still interested in info on the GT-R, especially from those w/first hand experience. I've heard/read mixed reviews about the GT-R, especially the '09 w/the trans issues. Did they correct the '09, or is safer to go newer? How does the GT-R(stock) do in the 1/4 compared to SRT8's/other fast cars(stock)?

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
I have a friend with a GTR and all I can tell you is the following.

1. Warranty or not, they are VERY expensive to maintain. Be prepared to drop a few grand yearly just for fluids and transmission maintenance.
2. They aren't near as fast without the launch control. All the crazy 0-60 times are with launch control

Good luck with your purchase. If you do get one post some pics!

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have a friend with a GTR and all I can tell you is the following.

1. Warranty or not, they are VERY expensive to maintain. Be prepared to drop a few grand yearly just for fluids and transmission maintenance.
Would it need trans service yearly if I don't put many miles on it?
2. They aren't near as fast without the launch control. All the crazy 0-60 times are with launch control
What does it do 0-60 w/o launch control? Doesn't using launch control void all warranties?

Good luck with your purchase. If you do get one post some pics!

·
That'l Buff Out
1,559 Posts
Using launch control voided the warranties on the '10 and previous models I believe, it is either the '11 or '12's that using the launch control does not void the warranty. And personally I think that is just ridiculous on nissans part, if your looking for a replacement with that money youd spend on a '11 then snatch up a Z06 and have like 10 grand to work with for mods right off the bat and make it a beast. I know RWD isnt what you wanted but you said you have a work van to drive in the winter correct? But I would go over on a NAGTROC and check out what those guys have to say, I am a member over there and they are very nice and knowledgeable and you'll learn everything you need to know from those who own them. I know there are a few guys on here that have them as well that will chime in for ya, being a college student a GT-R is just a pipe dream for me but I have driven a '09 and an '11 and they are a blast thats for sure!

·
Registered
210 Posts
like the performance of the car but reminds me of the zr1 corvette. took an average looking car and put a big hp motor in it and called it a day. the gr-r looks to average just like the zr-1. buy a used porche and enjoy it a lot more.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
I dont know how you are getting them for the price of a WK2 SRT. Around here they are all 90k used.

·
That'l Buff Out
1,559 Posts
I dont know how you are getting them for the price of a WK2 SRT. Around here they are all 90k used.
once just came up at a dealer by me, 09, 25k miles, 58g's and i heard they took 54. They go really fast so you gotta make sure your looking to get them, car actually lasted a long time there, little over a week i think. was clean too, jsut had a ugly aftermarket front lip.

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Oops, I forgot whatever I get must be auto trans, this eliminates many cars. I'm having a hard time thinking of living w/o AWD too. The weather is so crappy around here, we're lucky to get 2/3 months of good weather. I'll have my '70 Charger done someday, & that will be my good "sunny" day only car. The price is a big factor: What other car is as quick/fast as the GT-R for less than ~$65000(AWD, auto trans)?

·
That'l Buff Out
1,559 Posts
Dont think anything automatic would be as quick or fast as a GTR, thats why its the GT-R :D. It's not in the same realm but another fun thing would be to pick up like an 07 WRX limited and build it to a STi, big turbo, FMIC and such on it would make it mean in the winter and be MUCH MUCH less than a GT-R. you got alotta thinking to do though haha, so its down to this i guess:

4WD/AWD
Auto
under 65k
"fast"
daily driveable

?
add on to that and I think people will be able to give you better recommendations too. can always keep the jeep like you said ;)

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Keeping the Jeep is the most likely thing, at least for another ~yr. I'm really interested in the GT-R or other choices I haven't thought of.
Dont think anything automatic would be as quick or fast as a GTR, thats why its the GT-R :D.
The GT-R is automatic, w/manual mode.

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
To tell you the truth I don't know for certain but this is what I think:

The warranty program for the GTR is very finicky. Any deviation from the requirements and you are void. From my knowledge this continues today. Even now that you are allowed to use launch control, if you don't follow their maintenance recommendations they can black flag you. That means if you aren't driving it there is still time expiration on the fluids. I also believe you are required to take it to a dealer specifically certified to work on the GTR.

Regarding the 0-60, it's still impressive, but not the sub 3 second times people love to claim. I think 3.6-3.8 is without launch control.

I hope that helps.

·
That'l Buff Out
1,559 Posts
Keeping the Jeep is the most likely thing, at least for another ~yr. I'm really interested in the GT-R or other choices I haven't thought of.

The GT-R is automatic, w/manual mode.
yes yes, i know.

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
To tell you the truth I don't know for certain but this is what I think:

The warranty program for the GTR is very finicky. Any deviation from the requirements and you are void. From my knowledge this continues today. Even now that you are allowed to use launch control, if you don't follow their maintenance recommendations they can black flag you. That means if you aren't driving it there is still time expiration on the fluids. I also believe you are required to take it to a dealer specifically certified to work on the GTR.

Regarding the 0-60, it's still impressive, but not the sub 3 second times people love to claim. I think 3.6-3.8 is without launch control.

I hope that helps.
Definitely helpful. Interesting if the maintenance must be performed at certain Nissan dealers, there are no dealers w/in 1.5hrs of me.

yes yes, i know.
I blame the interwebs for my misunderstanding. :)

·
Registered
359 Posts
I've seen stock GTR's at the track. They do mid 11's @ 120mph BONE STOCK without the drag launch!

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
Nissan was sued over the launch/warranty issue. They reprogrammed them as part of the settlement so that owners could launch them without breaking anything.
http://www.automotiveaddicts.com/2126/nissan-gt-r-launch-control-reprogram-clarification-from-nissan
The issue was really with turning off the VDC, too many plus LC would void it.

Read what stipulations they added for the MY10 and up...
http://jalopnik.com/5201918/2010-gt+r-warranty-voided-for-denying-nissan-access-to-your-black-box-data

Maintenance must be performed by a GTR certified dealership

BUT...From my experience in my friends GTR, I say it's worth every penny! The combo of AWD and TT V6 makes this car a monster and for the price, stock vs. stock, it cannot be beat. Just adding a downpipe really wakes this car up!

You can also pick up a MY07/08 997(911 Turbo) for about the same price. Avail in "auto" and awd.

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
like the performance of the car but reminds me of the zr1 corvette. took an average looking car and put a big hp motor in it and called it a day. the gr-r looks to average just like the zr-1. buy a used porche and enjoy it a lot more.
Wow,really?? You gotta be the first person I have seen call the GTR,average looking. To each their own I guess.

·
Registered
405 Posts
i bought a gt-r this past april. best car i've owned to date. i won't bother go into the reasons, but for me it's a far better fit than my past modded z06's.

the maintenance talk in this thread is not accurate. it depends on how you use the gt-r (street vs track). but with typical street usage the tranny and diff fluids call for changing every 18k miles. did mine yesterday and it was quite easy. fluid cost was $630 (8 qts tranny, 3 ltrs diff). that was oem fluids. if you use aftermarket fluids costs will be less. oil changes cost less than the jeep as it takes less oil (i use mobil 1 0/40 and a mobil 1 filter). i do my oil changes every 5k.

warranty issues seem pretty much the same as other manufacturers. by that i mean it depends on what dealer you go to. some are jerks and some are good to work with. i've experienced this with many vehicles. nissan seems no different.

cost of a clean used gt-r is definitely inline with cost for a new wk2 or less for '09 or '10.

and i never use launch control. from a stop or roll it's damn quick. modding is easy and relatively affordable. for a few thousand dollars in parts you can be around 600 awhp.

·
Marathon Man
3,229 Posts
Interesting read about all the black box info it records.

Still a lot of coin for what you get.

·
Super Moderator
10,999 Posts
You mean for one of the fastest, best handling cars ever made.
Exactly. 2012 below. Pay attention to where it is ranked on the leader board

1 - 20 of 25 Posts