Cherokee SRT8 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
907 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I guess I'm gonna be the guinea pig for this install, but I am one of the ones whose upper radiator hose has repeatedly failed at the 180 degree plastic elbow where it turns behind the radiator shroud and goes into the intake manifold and thermostat area. So, I went ahead and purchased the Dayco 72226 one piece upper radiator hose and am having it installed tomorrow. I will post pictures of the finished product and then do a few hard launches to see if it has the same problem of pulling off the thermostat housing like the factory one did. Stay tuned!!!!

Attachments

·
Registered
170 Posts
Cant wait till you do this mine just came off today for the 2nd time I decided to go back to my AVALON as a DD just to wait till someone comes up with the solution. Not driving my ride around anymore till this is fixed. My engine bay looks like it took a shower with coolant all over it.

Looking for pix ;)

·
Registered
907 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ummm naw i got it from a vendor on ebay that carries the dayco hoses. ill post the pics as soon as i get it put on. im hoping for the best

·
Registered
802 Posts
Any update on this?

·
Registered
907 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Here's the install Pics of the Dayco 72226 radiator hose

So here it is, the Dayco 72226 Radiator Hose installed on the Jeep SRT8, the only thing that had to be done to the hose was have approximately 1 inch cut from the end of the hose that goes on the thermostat housing, as the 180 degree was getting just a little kink since the hose was a little long on that end, but overall, the install went off without a hitch and looks as good as factory, i haven't put any hard launches on it yet, but once I do, i'll give everyone the results when I do.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,080 Posts
That looks clean. What is the name of the cover you have over the hose? No cutting of the fan shroud?

·
Registered
665 Posts
Rock only lists the Goodyear is it a one piece or is the pic wrong ?
GOODYEAR Part # 62968

·
Registered
802 Posts
Looks solid. Report back on how it works out!

·
Registered
907 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Alright, well I just took a pretty lengthy cruise, with 2 or 3 fully stopped launches to 80 or so, and several downshift runs, and afterwards checked the hose, no leaks of any kind, either at the radiator end or the thermostat housing end, so the hose is holding fine, temps are good, so far so good then!!!!

·
Registered
907 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
not so much with it popping off, but instead failing at the 180 degree elbow thats behind the radiator shroud. That plastic piece that joins the 2 hoses together is prone to either fail or crack and the hose pull off of it, which gives your hemi a nice hot coolant bath, EEEEWWWWW.................

·
Registered
300 Posts
I already posted all this information in my thread with results. I've run it a little over a week now. I think your hose has a smaller loop than the one I used so good option if you don't want to alter the fan shroud.

http://www.cherokeesrt8.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61815

Sent from my Autoguide iPad app

·
Registered
26 Posts
So Happy!

So happy I found this post! Plastic elbow failed for me as well and the dealer wanted to charge $125 for the whole hose. The Dayco hose only cost $32 with over night delivery from Amazon. Thank you for posting this.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I read somewhere that the one piece hose from a 5.7 jeep commander can be used. Looks the same as the one you had and they had to do the same trim the hose a bit and no other mods. Hope this gives you guys some options if need one quick and might have it at a local parts store.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.