Cherokee SRT8 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello

Not sure what to look for, so I didn't find any answers to my problems here on the board after a quick search.

Yesterday my 2007 SRT8 got a check engine light, went to a service shop to have it diagnosed and they say it's a faulty gear selector control unit. Some unit that's just below the gear shifter itself. The problem is that the car/control unit doesn't always know in what gear the transmission is, something like that.

They have the part/s needed for repair, but it's quite expensive. I was wondering if you guys know what part this is and if I can buy it online. If so, where?

If you've heard about this problem before or experienced it, is this something that can affect the transmission itself, that is, damage it?

Thanks.

·
Premium Whore (Lifetime)
3,065 Posts
Hello

Not sure what to look for, so I didn't find any answers to my problems here on the board after a quick search.

Yesterday my 2007 SRT8 got a check engine light, went to a service shop to have it diagnosed and they say it's a faulty gear selector control unit. Some unit that's just below the gear shifter itself. The problem is that the car/control unit doesn't always know in what gear the transmission is, something like that.

They have the part/s needed for repair, but it's quite expensive. I was wondering if you guys know what part this is and if I can buy it online. If so, where?

If you've heard about this problem before or experienced it, is this something that can affect the transmission itself, that is, damage it?

Thanks.
This is very common.....

http://www.cherokeesrt8.com/forums/showthread.php?t=32822&highlight=cleaning+ESM

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ohhhhh thank you! I pointed this out to the workshop and they admitted they know about this procedure, cleaning the unit and it had worked in some cases. They are going to try to clean mine and see how it goes.

AWESOME! You guys might have saved me over $1000!

·
Daily Driver..........
1,837 Posts
its not that hard to do. i cleaned mine about a month ago when i was having shifter issues.

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
what did u use to clean the contacts?

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
lol any special kind

·
Daily Driver..........
1,837 Posts
mine were very dusty and dirty. i wiped the contacts off with a damp cloth rag. it worked fine.

·
Registered
365 Posts
I would think an electronics store like Radio Shack would have electrical contact cleaner.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts