Cherokee SRT8 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wanted one thread where we can find solutions to the 3 lighting problems:

1. Yellow Inner Headlight bulb. Does it really serve a purpose? It is only on with my headlights. It is TERRIBLE looking. Can we swap in a HID bulb? Anyone have idea of what bulb size? Maybe it is same on the regular cherokee?

2. Fog Light - i know there were possibilities of the bulb size. We need to find that out exactly and find a white replacement to match the LED strip next to it.

3. Amber turn signal bulb in headlight (this is probably the most difficult) - Does anyone know if we can get to the amber bulb in here to swap it out?

I just don t get how companies can release a 2012 car and have these hideous yellow lights.

·
Premium Whore (Lifetime)
3,065 Posts
Take some initiative, pull out the headlight, and give us some answers. You have one of the first ones.....be a pioneer. :D

1. From pictures and videos, I can clearly see that the amber section is a bulb....which can be easily swapped out for LED. Could be 194???:confused: Need to get my hands on one.

2. Are the fog lights at the end of the LED strips? Its probably a common bulb size.

3. There is always a way to get to the bulbs, its probably a 3157. You can change it to a Sylvania Silverstar, or use some resisters and install LED.

·
Registered
740 Posts
Just a picture of what is in question.

·
Registered
176 Posts
They should be relatively easy to pull out. I'll take a look at mine sometime this week or this weekend. I havent even looked at the front with the lights on yet but I thought i did notice that yellow one next to the headlight.

·
Premium Member
1,465 Posts
The DRL is a 3157 bulb. You could either get LED bulbs for them or silverstars for them.

·
Registered
196 Posts
234157W 3157 Nova LED Replacement Bulb
[Bulb Colour:White]

280003W 194 High Power Automotive LED Bulb

230001-H16 H16 / 5202 Putco Halogen Performance Bulbs
[Bulb Colour:Ion Spark White]

These are the bulb's I ordered from xenondepot last week, they should be in today or tomorrow. One is for the drl, one is for the fog, and one is for the rear license plate.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

These are the bulb's I ordered from xenondepot last week, they should be in today or tomorrow. One is for the drl, one is for the fog, and one is for the rear license plate.
Awesome, thanks for the links. Just to be clear #1 - DRL, #2 Fog and #3 rear license... right? I am going to order as well. Also the DRL bulbs it seems as if they come in a pair, did you order that way?

·
Registered
882 Posts
Just a picture of what is in question.

LMAO, I looked at that pic for a solid 30-45 seconds wondering why it looks so familiar, didn't even realize for a bit that its my truck...This is where a facepalm emotion would be perfect.

·
Registered
181 Posts

Awesome, thanks for the links. Just to be clear #1 - DRL, #2 Fog and #3 rear license... right? I am going to order as well. Also the DRL bulbs it seems as if they come in a pair, did you order that way?

#1 DRL, #2 Rear License Plate, #3 Fog light

·
Registered
281 Posts

Any pics installed yet?

Sent from my Autoguide iPad app

·
Registered
196 Posts
No pics yet. The rear license plate look good. Haven't put the fogs in yet, going to do it at some point. The DRL's don't work! First time I put them both in, all the lights on the right side of the truck turned off. So, I tried putting them in one by one and nothing. No light or anything. Going to try and putting the bulbs in a different car to see if they even work or try to get another pair.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I just got my bulbs shipped in and going to schedule to have them installed next week. Hopefully i dont have the issue the guy above did.

·
Straight Up Beast SON!!!
17,141 Posts
Take some initiative, pull out the headlight, and give us some answers. You have one of the first ones.....be a pioneer. :D

1. From pictures and videos, I can clearly see that the amber section is a bulb....which can be easily swapped out for LED. Could be 194???:confused: Need to get my hands on one.

2. Are the fog lights at the end of the LED strips? Its probably a common bulb size.

3. There is always a way to get to the bulbs, its probably a 3157. You can change it to a Sylvania Silverstar, or use some resisters and install LED.
Yeah what he said......

Like that Sig there Phil:D

·
Premium Member
2,525 Posts
No pics yet. The rear license plate look good. Haven't put the fogs in yet, going to do it at some point. The DRL's don't work! First time I put them both in, all the lights on the right side of the truck turned off. So, I tried putting them in one by one and nothing. No light or anything. Going to try and putting the bulbs in a different car to see if they even work or try to get another pair.
Sounds to me like Big Brother Jeep is in control. I remember Chargers having issues with non-OEM (especially low-draw) lightbulbs. It was the cars way of saying that something was amuck (bulb burnt etc..)

·
Premium Member
1,091 Posts
Here is a picture of my WK2 with replacement 5k 3156 DRL bulbs along with 5k LED fog bulbs installed. Now everything matches. I also modded the DRL circuit so the bulbs no longer turn off when a turn signal is activated. That drove me crazy.

The front forward facing amber markers use a 7443 bulb but any replacement must be shallow or it won't fit. I'm still researching what LED will work in those housings.

[IMG]http://i752.photobucket.com/albums/xx161/copout221/WK2 Taillight Related/d2bdaf6f-1.jpg[/IMG]

·
Registered
196 Posts
I got some cheap hyper white 3157 bulbs and installed them yesterday, definitely looks better than the amber. I don't think led's will work because they don't draw enough power, but maybe I had a bad set. Will post pics later tonight. Also, my bulb size for the fog lights is wrong. They are H11 not H16.

·
Premium Member
1,091 Posts
I got some cheap hyper white 3157 bulbs and installed them yesterday, definitely looks better than the amber. I don't think led's will work because they don't draw enough power, but maybe I had a bad set. Will post pics later tonight. Also, my bulb size for the fog lights is wrong. They are H11 not H16.
The front fog lamp housing on the SRT looks different than the regular GC so the H11 may be the correct bulb. I have not had the opportunity to physically look at one yet so I cannot say for sure.

As for the DRL housings, I had trouble with the drivers side being dimmer than the passenger side after installing 3157's but after swapping the ground and 12v leads on the drivers side connector the lamp intensity increased to match the passenger side. I think 3156 (single function only) LED's will work better for that application.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Here are some quick pics with my old blackberry, I will try to get some with the wife's iphone. The led drl's I tried were shorting out the lights and wouldn't turn on. So this is my temporary solution with some cheap 3157's. I'm going to get some H11's this weekend for the fog's...

Attachments

1 - 20 of 83 Posts