Cherokee SRT8 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Quick question. I didn't want to spend 700 dollars a tire on my 08 srt. So I bought some Atturos for the Jeep. Ordered the rear tires (stock size, 285\40r20) no problem, then realized that they don't make the 255\45r20 for the front. So I bought some 255\50r20's instead. I haven't installed them yet. But will this cause any problems? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks friends.

·
Registered
2007 SRT8 Jeep Grand Cherokee
224 Posts
Using a tire size calculator, the front tire will be about an inch taller than the rear. 672 revolutions per minute compared to 696. Our transfer cases are very finicky with tire size. That "might" be close enough, but I wouldn't do it.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
I believe the maximum allowable tolerance is 3% between the front & rear sizes. Anything more and you will definitely end up stretching/breaking the chain inside the transfer case. According to the website I used, the difference in diameter is roughly 3.4%

·
Registered
12 Posts
Quick question. I didn't want to spend 700 dollars a tire on my 08 srt. So I bought some Atturos for the Jeep. Ordered the rear tires (stock size, 285\40r20) no problem, then realized that they don't make the 255\45r20 for the front. So I bought some 255\50r20's instead. I haven't installed them yet. But will this cause any problems? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks friends.
3% is correct. Go to Atturo's site and look at the diameter on both. Dont trust a tire size calculator.
so with hopped up 1000+ tcase from paramount would a 3.5% difference matter that much? Read my latest thread for the background info but thats where im at. And im a bit worried

1 - 11 of 11 Posts