Cherokee SRT8 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was losing pressure in the front left ties and I thought I maybe hit a nail, but it was an inside crack on the rim. This is the second rim to do this. My right front did it a while back and I had it fixed. This is BS! There has to be some warranty issue with these????

·
Registered
2,535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I need to have them redone anyway, but this is another screw up that should be addressed.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I just repaired my front passenger side rim on Friday with a crack. A friend of mine up here is a great TIG welder and does a lot of aluminum welding. He simply drilled part of it out and welded it. He left a slight bead as mine was cracked on the inside area.

Apparently this happens more often then we know with runflat tires. As soon as these tires are done, I'm switching to something that is a bit more friendly on our rims.

Apparently, BMW has a recall for certain models that have runflats citing that the rim isn't strong enough and has had cracking through several models.

·
Registered
200 Posts
You could have bought 1 of my rear rims. I just sold 2 of them on Ebay. I sold them for around $225 each I think. Thats what you should expect to pay.

The best place to purchase is Ebay, the only problem is that they dont come up all the time so I had to spring for the replica rims. My job requires me to drive around so I can't deal with the adding air constantly type of thing. Also once you have it welded if its not done properly then thats all she wrote for the rim.

You might consider making an attempt at getting it welded. Its worth it if you make 1 attempt and it holds. If you have to pay twice its not worth it.

My car is getting very used. My starter went, the battery went, tires blew, headlight went, rotors, 2nd set of brakes, temp thing. etc....Im getting over this.

My rear rim is cracked as well. I just had new Nitto's put on, and it wasn't holding pressure. They inspected the rim, and it was cracked.

Any suggestion on where to buy a used OEM rim? It's an '09.

Thanks

·
Registered
140 Posts
Welding is a tricky thing with any aluminum. The guy doing the TIG must have experience. You have to drill out the crack, then use the perfect heat setting on the TIG. Also, it is critically important that the welder leaves a small bead on the outside of the crack for strength issues. You can also have a small plate welded on the inside area of the crack to keep it stable.

·
Registered
3,440 Posts
Should check too if the vehicle has the wheel insurance as it covers wheels that will not hold air. Could be an insurance claim.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.