Cherokee SRT8 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
The Traveler
5,264 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my jeep is lowered with bwoody springs/links, QA1's, and JBA upper control arms and I started to notice a slight squeak from the front passenger side (I believe). Everything was greased with white lithium during install. During the troubleshooting process I noticed the fronts ride on the bumpstops when stationary. I never modified the front bumpstops and I used the supplied rear bwoody bumpstops unmodified. the squeak doesn't seem constant, just at times. After running to the car wash and spraying out the suspension really well the squeak is gone for now.

I've done some searching and didn't find any any information about the front bumpstops. Do you guys trim the fronts at all? If so how/what is the part being trimmed? Are there any negative effects of riding on the front bumpstops? Since I run the jeepinbyale upper control arms, I'm not sure if they can be trimmed, or how much can safely be trimmed without causing the control arm to contact the wheel well.

Any useful input is appreciated.

·
Registered
3,651 Posts
I'm having the same issues but I have Eibachs on with a similar noise which seems to come from the front passenger side. Drives me crazy!

·
Registered
202 Posts
Me too. Same thing, wash it out and it stops. Drives me @&$"€ crazy!! It's been suggested after inspection that it could be a worn upper spring mount. Mines on eibachs with the rest of the suspension stock.

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
You're in uncharted territory, Mongoose.

I've got a suggestion that might give you an idea about how much you can trim the bumpstops. Go get some of that earthquake putty from Home Depot. Thats the stuff that you can secure your ceramic vases down and prevent them from falling. Put a wad on the underside of your shock towers where the A-arm would make contact. Then go out and hit a speed bump as fast as you feel comfortable. You want to get max compression on the front springs. This should leave an impression in the putty. You can then measure how much clearance you might have. Just be aware that you cannot trim the stop in a 1:1 ratio. I don't know what the ratio might be -- you might have to a little math on that.

·
The Traveler
5,264 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
You're in uncharted territory, Mongoose.

I've got a suggestion that might give you an idea about how much you can trim the bumpstops. Go get some of that earthquake putty from Home Depot. Thats the stuff that you can secure your ceramic vases down and prevent them from falling. Put a wad on the underside of your shock towers where the A-arm would make contact. Then go out and hit a speed bump as fast as you feel comfortable. You want to get max compression on the front springs. This should leave an impression in the putty. You can then measure how much clearance you might have. Just be aware that you cannot trim the stop in a 1:1 ratio. I don't know what the ratio might be -- you might have to a little math on that.
I had a similar idea to that. I remember before talking to you about the jba arms with the 90* zerk would make contact. Is that correct? If so that means there isn't much clearance left even with the straight zurk. With all the guys on the forum that are lowered have any trimmed the front bumpstops? Or are we all riding on them?

·
The Traveler
5,264 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Does anybody have pictures of a stock setup stationary on the ground? Wheels turned full lock to one side and a picture of the front strut? I'm curious how much of the shock cylinder you can see before it'd hit the bumpstops.

·
The Traveler
5,264 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm guessing the stock setup has 1" or less of front shock travel until the bumpstop would be hit? Since it's only been lowered 1" and now it rest on the bumpstops.

·
The Traveler
5,264 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Me too. Same thing, wash it out and it stops. Drives me @&$"€ crazy!! It's been suggested after inspection that it could be a worn upper spring mount. Mines on eibachs with the rest of the suspension stock.
The sound isn't too bad on mine, it just annoyes me since I know it's there. Maybe a little OCD about it. I saw the post about the worn upper mounts, and also a guy that took apart and cleaned everything and got the squeaks to go away. I'm more interested about riding on the front bumpstops all the time. I just couldn't find anything about it on the forums while searching.

·
PWR - Boosted & Stroked
8,565 Posts
Does anybody have pictures of a stock setup stationary on the ground? Wheels turned full lock to one side and a picture of the front strut? I'm curious how much of the shock cylinder you can see before it'd hit the bumpstops.
Here you go Zac. With the wheels turned all the way to the right there is about an inch on the drivers side & about 3/4 on the passengers.

Jim

Attachments

·
The Traveler
5,264 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Here you go Zac. With the wheels turned all the way to the right there is about an inch on the drivers side & about 3/4 on the passengers.

Jim
Thanks Jim, just what I was expecting. I'll snap some pictures after work and load them up to see the difference.

·
PWR - Boosted & Stroked
8,565 Posts
I was curious so I just checked those measurements are pretty much reversed with the wheels turned all the way to the left.

Jim

·
The Traveler
5,264 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I was curious so I just checked those measurements are pretty much reversed with the wheels turned all the way to the left.

Jim
Thanks I appreciate that.

·
The Traveler
5,264 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well, I jammed my iPhone 4 up into the wheel well and took some shots to compare. If you compare my pics to jim's pics you can see I'm clearly riding on the bumpstops.

Mine:

Jim's

·
Straight Up Beast SON!!!
17,141 Posts

Jim
So Jim did you trim down your front bump stops then for your Eibach setup?

·
Straight Up Beast SON!!!
17,141 Posts
No that's my wifes stock setup, he said he wanted some pics of stock for reference.

Jim
Oh got ya..... So what did you do to your fronts when you installed the Eibachs?

·
PWR - Boosted & Stroked
8,565 Posts
Oh got ya..... So what did you do to your fronts when you installed the Eibachs?
I still don't have mine installed. I was going to last July but than bought the new motor & since I have to ship the Jeep to get it installed I thought it would be better to leave it stock height for shipping. Just still waiting on that.

Jim

·
Straight Up Beast SON!!!
17,141 Posts
I still don't have mine installed. I was going to last July but than bought the new motor & since I have to ship the Jeep to get it installed I thought it would be better to leave it stock height for shipping. Just still waiting on that.

Jim
Oh ok makes sense to me..... Cool!

·
The Traveler
5,264 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
So does anybody have pictures of their trimmed front bump stops?

·
Registered
3,772 Posts
I'm pretty much riding on the front bumpstops as well. There is probably less than 1/8 of an inch of gap nothing more.

1 - 20 of 78 Posts