Cherokee SRT8 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
17,169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my Jeep was up on the lift today..... I spun my back tire a little playing with it and the driveshaft didn't look quite right. Grabbed the driveshaft then looked at the the rear end. WTF?!?!?! I grabbed a Driveshaft bolt and unscrewed It with my fingers!! Then the next one, and the NEXT ONE!! The last one was right. 3 out of 4 driveshaft bolts were finger tight. We haven't had the DS out since we did my tranny in January. Threads were good.

So.... I'm telling you guys, whenever it's up on a lift, just take a second and double check them please. I'm am incredibly particular about maintenance on my Jeep. Just sayin' guys..... keep an eye on them. And to think I was running 85-90mph heading the the shop 20mins before!!:eek:

·
The Traveler
5,264 Posts
Are they a torque to yield one time use bolt? Maybe the cause for them loosening up? Maybe a little loctite thread locker is in order?

Sent from my iPhone 4S

·
Administrator
6,373 Posts

·
Has Been
8,532 Posts
Damn that could have been a disaster...good thing you like anal...I mean are anal about maintenance stuff :D

Reactions: nyjoed

·
Administrator
6,373 Posts

·
STAGE6,LPM,PARAMOUNT,JBT
201 Posts
So my Jeep was up on the lift today..... I spun my back tire a little playing with it and the driveshaft didn't look quite right. Grabbed the driveshaft then looked at the the rear end. WTF?!?!?! I grabbed a Driveshaft bolt and unscrewed It with my fingers!! Then the next one, and the NEXT ONE!! The last one was right. 3 out of 4 driveshaft bolts were finger tight. We haven't had the DS out since we did my tranny in January. Threads were good.

So.... I'm telling you guys, whenever it's up on a lift, just take a second and double check them please. I'm am incredibly particular about maintenance on my Jeep. Just sayin' guys..... keep an eye on them. And to think I was running 85-90mph heading the the shop 20mins before!!:eek:
Good that you took the time to look around at even the smallest of areas. So since were on the subject why dont you take a peak under my truck when you get a chance ;)

·
"guy with the crazy Jeep"
4,868 Posts
All my drive-line fasteners have blue loctite and paint marked. Its hard to see in this photo, but you can see it if you look. With the paint marks its easy to see if anything is getting loose.

Here is a bad shot of the front driveshaft.

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
All my drive-line fasteners have blue loctite and paint marked. Its hard to see in this photo, but you can see it if you look. With the paint marks its easy to see if anything is getting loose.

in my line of work we call that torque stripe good idea for sure!

·
The Traveler
5,264 Posts

I did the same thing after I changed all my suspension parts and dropped my WK1. Made sure to torque to spec, a little loctite and some paint marks. Every few thousand miles I'd take a peak and make sure nothing was coming loose.

Sent from my iPhone 4S

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.