Cherokee SRT8 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2014 Jeep SRT and just finished putting my motor together and fired it up today. My motor started but it's running rough. I checked the codes and the only code is P0016(Crankshaft Position,Cam shaft position Bank 1) The first thing I replaced was my crankshaft sensor since it was easy and relatively cheap but my idle is rough, engine backfires, and is about to die. I checked all my connections(02 sensors, ground wires, etc) are all correct. I checked my timing numerous times when installing my cam and I'm sure its correct. I made sure my pushrods were also installed correctly. What else could be causing my engine to run rough. Is my timing incorrect or a pushrod isn't in place? Is my engine suppose to be this rough and a proper tune will fix this? I removed the wiring harness for my MDS solenoid but was throwing a P0013 so I plugged it back in the camshaft position sensor and now the code is gone. I just hope it's not a timing chain because it's gonna be a PITA to redo. Any help is greatly appreciated!

My motor build
MMX 2618 Forged rods and pistons
Procharged P1SC
MMX push rods 6.775 & 8.050
PSI 1511 springs
6.4L 392 VVT HEMI NSR Performance S/C Camshaft by Modern Muscle
SKU: MMP-NSR-STG3-SC
MDS Delete

Video of what my engine sounds like

·
Registered
93 Posts
Could be a valve train issue (pushrod as you mentioned, or a spring). Feel around the intake runners, if one is hotter than the others that could be an open intake valve.
Otherwise I'd open the valve covers and check for play.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Some of the higher end scantools have a cam to crank relearn function. If you haven't tried that it's worth a go. Since this engine has one central camshaft, if the chain was incorrectly installed it would effect both banks and not just bank 1 (drivers side). So, your problem is narrowed down to what is going wrong with bank 1 that isn't happening with bank 2. You could do compression on bank 1 just to eliminate mechanical from the list. Hope it works out, keep us posted.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Some of the higher end scantools have a cam to crank relearn function. If you haven't tried that it's worth a go. Since this engine has one central camshaft, if the chain was incorrectly installed it would effect both banks and not just bank 1 (drivers side). So, your problem is narrowed down to what is going wrong with bank 1 that isn't happening with bank 2. You could do compression on bank 1 just to eliminate mechanical from the list. Hope it works out, keep us posted.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So I redid the timing it was a little off. I put everything back together. The car fired up fine and it sounded it was running on all the cylinders but it dies on me. I tried starting the car but barely starts now. It’s throwing a p0016 and P0013 code now. I doubled check my connections and valvetrain. I’m going to guess its tuning related now. Heres a picture of my timing before I put it all back together

Attachments

1 - 11 of 11 Posts