Cherokee SRT8 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,353 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do the stock manifolds fit in the truck when you flip them upside down and bolt them on the opposite side?

This would be for a front mount turbo setup, possibly twins if you didn't get the idea behind it already.

Seems to work for other brands quite often (Ford and Chevy are hugely popular for doing this), not sure if the HEMI header flanges are symmetrical like that.

If the flange is reversible, is the manifold physically capable of fitting in that orientation? I'm not saying the turbo flange has to be right on the manifold, but what kind of room are we talking about here?

I can't get my hands on a wrecked SRT8 (still looking), so would any other 5.7L Jeep suffice for turbo mock-up? If I can't get a good wrecked HEMI Jeep, would I be ok with a V6 Jeep and a donor HEMI 5.7 block (based on availability)?
The header flanges are different for the 5.7s and 6.1s, aren't they? That would be too easy wouldn't it.

Thanks in advance. I'm sure at least 1 of you turbo guys has already tried this, though you all seem to be fans of headers going to u-bends and then back to the front... there must be a reason for it, right?

·
Registered
5,015 Posts
Exhaust ports are more of a D shape, so exhaust manifolds can't be flipped like that, there also isn't enough room physically to mount them that way.

·
RIP Chuck G.
6,339 Posts
John Spardello's turbo guy made headers to go forward. The stockers wont or we would have already. Are you looking to bring something new to the market?

I do know of a guy making a sweet setup already;)

·
Registered
114 Posts
John Spardello's turbo guy made headers to go forward. The stockers wont or we would have already. Are you looking to bring something new to the market?

I do know of a guy making a sweet setup already;)
I've been hearing that and I just had a SC300 2JZGTE car get sold out from under me, feeling the BUG again.. and I sure would love to be able to put a single turbo kit on my Jeep SRT8.... :fight:

·
RIP Chuck G.
6,339 Posts
I've been hearing that and I just had a SC300 2JZGTE car get sold out from under me, feeling the BUG again.. and I sure would love to be able to put a single turbo kit on my Jeep SRT8.... :fight:
Why single? you have something against twins??;)

·
Premium Member
17,140 Posts
Only thing I have against twins is my target budget! :)
We've got a couple of strokers we are building with big singles about to hit the streets soon. Should be interesting.:D

·
Registered
802 Posts

·
Registered
3,353 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Sorry I didn't see this response earlier. And actually forgot about it until I saw someone selling their manifolds on here. Then I hopped over to google to see if the LX manifolds would fit better, and they might, but it is still likely not an option.

It just would have been nice to not have 20' of piping if you could avoid it. The hot side would pick up about 4' total (2' per side) and could bolt right back into the exhaust where the manifold otherwise would. Even if the d-shape of the exhaust ports on the head could be overcome by simply porting the flange or welding a new flange on the stock manifold. But the big problem would be fitment after you got the manifolds on, where the hell are you going to fit the turbos and related piping?

In my last car I fit a 76mm between my serpentine belt and my radiator. I wonder if you could do that if you swapped the stock fan with a pusher. As big as the turbo was, unless I pointed it out to people, they had no idea it was there.

Trying to boost on a budget. We have incredible options already, but this is the stuff I think about when I can't sleep, am at work, eating, or when my wife is talking.

·
Registered
3,353 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
lol... you guys are funny.

I just made an offer on a front clip for an SRT8... I have a feeling it will fall through on the seller's end... but I might be throwing "fenders forward" on my trailer next weekend for super cheap... with motor/tranny.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts