Cherokee SRT8 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ever since I bought it in 2013, my 2006 Jeep SRT-8 always runs warmer than I like. It seems to run best when at about 190 or so, but no matter how I adjust the fan with my Trinity it always seems to hover around 212 (midway on the temp gauge). In the summer, especially when running the AC it can start creeping even higher. So I have replaced every part of my Jeep's cooling system in the quest to stop it from running so warm all the time: water pump, upgraded aluminum Wizard radiator, lower temp thermostat (about 6 times), all new hoses, new fan & resistor, new relays, and adjusted the settings for the fan several times with my Trinity. Sometimes things seem to help, but then it reverts back to its old behavior.

I figured the computer was messing with things so I got sick of it and bought a stand-alone fan controller and Flex-A-Lite Black Magic electric fan and DC Control fan controller. The controller has a little temperature probe which inserts between the radiator fins near the outlet hose.

Tire Wheel Vehicle Motor vehicle Plant

Gas Automotive tire Automotive wheel system Circle Audio equipment

This pic shows where I originally had the DC Control fan controller installed (lower fan shroud).

Hood Grille Bumper Automotive exterior Line

I mounted the Flex-A-Lite fan with these tranny cooler zip tie things. Not as good as brackets, but easy. Except I had to pull the radiator to get access to the back side due to the AC condenser and tranny/oil(?) cooler being in the way! What a PITA! This is a Wizard aluminum radiator.

Car Vehicle Hood Light Motor vehicle

Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive exterior Automotive fuel system Auto part

Automotive tire Light Bumper Automotive exterior Rim

There is TONS more room in the engine compartment without the factory fan shroud.

The fan worked great and maintained a consistent 194 degrees, but the DC Control fan controller failed after about 2 weeks. I suspect having to drive through some standing water in the constantly flooded Norfolk streets caused it to die.
So then I bought a Hayden fan controller which is supposed to be waterproof. I installed it on the "frame" below the battery. It seems much more secure there and out of the splash path of water, but it was a harder install (had to remove battery and battery tray). No pics of the new controller, sorry.

I can adjust the temperature the fan comes on using a small screwdriver on a little potentiometer on the fan controller. It ramps up and down, and isn't just on/off. I also wired up the AC and IGNITION input wires to relays in the fuse panel under the hood. It works good.

Then after 2 weeks, it started running hot again. I suspected the thermostat because those always seem to be the culprit. It was an expensive ($30?) from HHP. MotorRad 180. I replaced it with a $22 stat from Advance Auto. Also a MotorRad 180. I boiled them both on my stove and sure enough, the old one wouldn't open and the new one would. Note: HHP refunded me for the thermostat.

Unfortunately, when removing the HHP stat I snapped a bolt on the thermostat housing and couldn't get it out with an EZ Out and about 20 drill bits so had to replace the water pump again (it is pretty easy actually and only $100). I also replaced the thermostat housing because it was getting a bit corroded. So after this, the Jeep ran consistently at 194ish.

Over the last 2 weeks, I noticed the Jeep running warmer and warmer. Just yesterday it nearly overheated on the highway, so I ran the heater and limped home. I took my other car to Advance Auto and bought ANOTHER MotorRad 180 thermostat. I boiled them both and the old one (just 2 weeks old) failed to open, and the new one opened no problem. So I swapped that in and she is running great and at 194 again. Advance Auto refunded me for the 2 week old thermostat.

Anyways, that is my cooling system story and the install of my Flex-A-Lite fan and Hayden fan controller. Tune in in 2 weeks for my next thermostat replacement, probably.

·
BlaBlaBla
5,311 Posts
I suggested that you go back to stock Mopar stat in your other thread. How well does your heat work?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I suggested that you go back to stock Mopar stat in your other thread. How well does your heat work?
I may have to since obviously they do not manufacture reliable lower temp thermostats for Gen 3 Hemis. Just browse post after post after post here for proof.

Heat works but like all lower temp stats not AS hot as if the antifreeze were hotter. 180+ degrees is still pretty dang hot.

·
BlaBlaBla
5,311 Posts
I may have to since obviously they do not manufacture reliable lower temp thermostats for Gen 3 Hemis. Just browse post after post after post here for proof.

Heat works but like all lower temp stats not AS hot as if the antifreeze were hotter. 180+ degrees is still pretty dang hot.
Maybe try back flushing your heater core. Take off the two hoses at the firewall and run fresh water through it both ways. Flush into a bucket. You’ll be surprised to say the least.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Maybe try back flushing your heater core. Take off the two hoses at the firewall and run fresh water through it both ways. Flush into a bucket. You’ll be surprised to say the least.
I'll give it a shot. I did notice a bunch of floaty little peanut skin looking things coming from my coolant reservoir last time I filled up my radiator.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts