Cherokee SRT8 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

· Spinning aint winning!!
1,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I also powdercoated the manifold, strut bar and catch can but in gloss black. The blower was sent to Vortech disassembled and powdercoated just like there 20th aniversary 5.0 mustang kit.

It looks real stealth Im thinking about doing billet tech caps also but having them coated either gloss or matte black.

I need to do something about that bypass valve to I dont really want to take it apart for powdercoating maybe some plasti dip is in order like i did on the throttle body.

Reactions: mondo and LCVV

· Registered
665 Posts
Murdered Engine bay . I like it .

· Straight Up Beast SON!!!
17,142 Posts
Looks sick brother!

· Has Been
8,532 Posts
I love it; I personally hate the looks of the vortec SC but that makes it not stick out like a sore thumb anymore.

· Marathon Man
3,229 Posts
Looks good, what did vortech charge to do that?

· Registered
11,229 Posts
That looks really good bro , Rims next and you'll have a MEANSRT :)

· Premium Member
1,405 Posts
That looks good man

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

· Premium Member
2,529 Posts
Nicccccccce!

One question though; Will the paint stand up to the heat?

· Premium Member
2,529 Posts
I hear you. But powder coat is simply paint that been applied thru an electrostratically-charged bonding process. Doesn't make it heat-proof. And you can't compare axle-back or exhaust-tip temps to straight-off-the-exhaust-manifold temps.

I'm sure there are higher temps at the manifolds. I remember opening the hood of my 70-1/2 Trans Am 455 HO back in the 80's and seeing the manifolds glowing red. That's freakin' hot!!!

I'm curious to hear from owners of this painted Vortec if the paint lasted much longer than a week or two.

· Premium Whore (Lifetime)
3,065 Posts
I hear you. But powder coat is simply paint that been applied thru an electrostratically-charged bonding process. Doesn't make it heat-proof. And you can't compare axle-back or exhaust-tip temps to straight-off-the-exhaust-manifold temps.

I'm sure there are higher temps at the manifolds. I remember opening the hood of my 70-1/2 Trans Am 455 HO back in the 80's and seeing the manifolds glowing red. That's freakin' hot!!!

I'm curious to hear from owners of this painted Vortec if the paint lasted much longer than a week or two.

Not all powder coat is the same, there is a higher temp rating on this type. It cannot be used for headers, like ceramic coating though.
They have 2 types of high temp powder:
One is good to 550*F, the other is a silicone powder good to 1200*F typically used for wood stoves etc.

My exhaust tips get hot enough to burn yourself on, its supercharged with headers and high-flow cats.

A supercharger is not connected to the exhaust manifold, it pulls air from behind the headlight/bumper. While it does generate some heat, its nothing like a turbo.

· Spinning aint winning!!
1,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
Im glad you guys all like it.

To answer some questions it is not cheap about 500 to powdercoat the blower and aftercooler keep in mind they have to disasemble the blower to do this.

The paint is more then capable of handling the heat and the vortech doesnt get that hot anyways.

Also i'm glad to report the plasti-dip throttle body is holding up great to the heat

New daylight pictures added to post #1

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.