Cherokee SRT8 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:D Hey all, I'm new to the forum! I recently bought an 07 fully loaded Jeep SRT8 and I have some questions since it's the first jeep I have ever owned.

1 - When I lightly accelerate, first gear feels like it has 2 shifts. I start from 0 - 10mph or so, then it feels like it shifts. The RPM's decrease and it feels like the vehicle has shifted into second but when I use autostick to check if it is in second, it is still in first. Then after I hit 15-20 mph or so, it shifts into second correctly. Is this just the way jeeps are geared or is there an underlying problem?

2 - This may be a noob question, but this is also the first Hemi I have owned. The other day I noticed that one exhaust pipe was giving off hot air, but the other was giving off cool air. Is this normal?

Again, don't be too harsh! I'm just trying to figure my car out =)

·
Premium Member
1,405 Posts
Gears seem normal.. N the factory exhaust, only on side works.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Registered
14,287 Posts
Try putting a tune in your jeep to see if the acceleration smooths out. (Diabosport predator or Trinity}

These Jeeps have true dual exhaust...4 cylinders on each side of the motor....headers come off each side and go back to the exhaust tips. Both tips should be spitting exhaust.

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
The PCM does a transfer case diagnostic test at around 10mph or so. You may feel this as a thump and think its a shift. This is normal. I think there is a TSB to smooth it out, but I never did it cuz it doesn't bother me at all.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I been trying to search around for new tires for my 2010 SRT8, I need some recommendations. I live in NY so I have all the weather changes and i would like to avoid run flats. I know alot of people posted Nitto as a good choice. And also help on sizes for the stock Srt8 rims?

·
Registered
300 Posts
I been trying to search around for new tires for my 2010 SRT8, I need some recommendations. I live in NY so I have all the weather changes and i would like to avoid run flats. I know alot of people posted Nitto as a good choice. And also help on sizes for the stock Srt8 rims?
I'll be the nice guy and say you need to post a new thread or search for your answer. This isn't the thread for that.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Registered
8,340 Posts
Welcome to the family! Seems like your questions have been answered. And i would say get a custom tune to smooth out the acceleration.

·
Registered
710 Posts
The PCM does a transfer case diagnostic test at around 10mph or so. You may feel this as a thump and think its a shift. This is normal. I think there is a TSB to smooth it out, but I never did it cuz it doesn't bother me at all.
I'm pretty sure Rose City is right, I get the same feeling but only the first time I take off. You can especially feel it if you turn and accelerate. It should only happen the first take off when you start the car but afterward, it should just roll on through.

With regards to the exhaust, it's just how the factory muffler was designed. Exhaust comes out of both tail pipes (not sure what that other guy was saying). It depends on the internal design of the muffler.

Here's a rough drawing of the middle muffler, under the back row seats.

exit

---_|^||^|______---
--|.....................|--
--|_____________|--
---|^|-------|^|----

Engine

the arrows show the flow from engine to exit. As you see, the exhaust enters on both sides. But it exits shifted to the left. My guess is (and this is only a guess) that the right exhaust probably has more of a track to go through causeing it to have a weaker flow and different output. But honestly, I have no idea what the design is or what happens inside haa.

-blahson

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank you all for your replies. I've heard many various things about the Predator / diablo tune that affects the TC activating AWD when tire slid happens. I've also heard many other minor issues that happen when the new tune is applied, so that worries me a bit. Can you back up your factory tune in the memory so if you don't like the new tune, it can be restored? Is there a huge difference from factory tune settings to predator tune settings?

·
Premium Member
1,405 Posts
In the cold only one side spit smoke out when i had thr stock exhaust..idk y

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.