Cherokee SRT8 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally got around replacing that front diff bushing. The one that goes bad usually. It had about 1/2 play upwards. Dealer said it was 65 for the bushing and 3.5 hrs of labor. I found the bushing online for 21 shipped did the fill it in with sealant idea that was brought up on one of the other posts here. (thank you btw) knocked it out in about an hour. Anyone considering doing it themselves, hardest part was getting the old one out. Tôrch made easy work of that tho.

·
Registered
7,003 Posts
I had them check mine out when they put in the new gears in the front case and they said there ok and it had 42,200 miles on them. I glad i got the 7/100,000 exstended warranty.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I still got a yea left on my power train warranty but I spoke to them and they said it was not covered. I said I'm pretty sure it has to do with it but he said its more of a suspension related item. I have 37k on mine

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I don't have any pics but as Long as you have some good long extensions impact gun it's no prob. O and swivels. Take the breather hose off and the whole thing swings right down after the driveshaft is off. I left one side on the t case and just marked it where it had to go back on. My runner in the center of the bushing fell out. The bushing only comes out one way. My friend that was with me is a pro welder so he cut the metal inside and I just crushed it and it came right out. The new one I sprayed it down and just hammered it in.

·
Registered
317 Posts
A control arm/ball joint service tool would help make quick work of them. I generally use Snapon but if you only are going to use it once you can pick up an inexpensive one at harbor freight.

·
Premium Member
1,290 Posts
I need to get this done, and additional info from anyone. Thinking about just going the stealership route on this if its only gonna save me a few bucks.

·
Registered
287 Posts
I need to get this done, and additional info from anyone. Thinking about just going the stealership route on this if its only gonna save me a few bucks.
The stealership is probably going to charge you anywhere from $500-1000 for this job. It's not a bad job and there is plenty of info on this site and the other one. I did mine in a few hours, if you like wrenching. Total cost was around $50.00 for 1-new bushing and a tube of 3m polyurethane to fill all 3 bushings. I decided to get a new bushing for the top which is the hardest to get at and fill it. The other 2-bushings I just filled them solid and work great.

·
Registered
287 Posts
No vibration at all and 2 out of 3 of my bushings were bad at 47,000 miles. I still had the clunking noise and after more research I decided to check every front end bolt and found my pass. side lower control arm bolt was 1/4 turn loose and that solved my front end noise and it was just a matter of time with the worn diff. bushings also. All is good now.:)

·
Premium Member
1,290 Posts
The stealership is probably going to charge you anywhere from $500-1000 for this job. It's not a bad job and there is plenty of info on this site and the other one. I did mine in a few hours, if you like wrenching. Total cost was around $50.00 for 1-new bushing and a tube of 3m polyurethane to fill all 3 bushings. I decided to get a new bushing for the top which is the hardest to get at and fill it. The other 2-bushings I just filled them solid and work great.
Can you provide any links/guidance on where to find some of these front diff aftermarket bushings? Tech at the dealer said NOT TO get the oem ones, that they suck, and I'd be back in a few months to swap them again.

·
Super Moderator
11,080 Posts
Can you provide any links/guidance on where to find some of these front diff aftermarket bushings? Tech at the dealer said NOT TO get the oem ones, that they suck, and I'd be back in a few months to swap them again.

HHP sells them on their website.

·
Registered
287 Posts
I don't want to post any links and have problems on this site but you can type in
52089516AB under google and find it for under $20.00. There is the top one and one on the pass. side of the front diff. that you can use this one on. The front isolator is different and and easier to get at and you can just fill it if needed.
Also look for some 3M/Window-Weld black super fast urethane at your local auto store to fill the bushing isolators to make them solid and last a long time.:)

·
Premium Member
1,613 Posts
So if a guy gets the HHP/LPM bushing you still have to fill them with this urethane? I thought they were billet aluminum. I am not the most mechanically inclined person, I apologize if that's a retarded question :lol:. I get the vibration and I see a forum member is selling a bushing, was thinking of picking it up.

Nevermind it looks like the epoxy is for a stock style bushing. A little research and I think I figured it out.

·
Demonized
772 Posts
I have one sitting at my house in NY that is brand new, never installed. Shoot me a PM if you're interest.

·
Super Moderator
11,080 Posts
1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.