Cherokee SRT8 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,
I've been going back and forth on this for a while. I'm trying to decide whether to swap out my factory head unit for an aftermarket. I have every function on my factory unit except nav.
If I go aftermarket, I want to be able to integrate the factory options (rear camera, rear tv, back up sensors, etc...). Has anybody successfully accomplished this?
I like the factory unit and have been looking at the lockpicks, but the major pain points on my factory unit are no nav and I can't seem to play videos from my iPhone on the unit, only music.
The other issue is that the OEM iPod integration cable also doesn't support charging of the iPhone 4. So, what I did was buy an extension cable and plugged a charging adapter in between the OEM cord and the extension cable. Now it will charge my phone but every once in a while it confuses the factory unit and I have to unplug it and plug it back in.
Like I said, I'd really like to go aftermarket, but I don't want to lose those OEM functions.

Thanks!

-Rich

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Nobody out there has done this?

·
Registered
970 Posts
if you go aftermarket the only thing your going to lose is the uconnect button by the mirror on the 06 and 07. and for an aftermarket headunit your going to need steering wheel control kit besides the head unit so you don't lose ther steering wheel controls. Everything else you will have as long as you buy a headunit with bluetooth, and nav and the satalite radio will work too but you need an adapter for that. new they retail for like $1000. Basically the only benefit of aftermarket is you can play video's while you drive and is more powerful amp in the unit and if you have subs you can control the bass instead of a bass knob. The aftermarket amps all your speakers and subs better than a stock unit. I know blkoutsrt is selling a headunit at a great price.

Here is what you'll need:

Headunit with nav,bluetooth

steering wheel control adapter kit

satelite radio adapter

It's a decent amount of stuff but you'll be happy with the results, a cheaper route is to get an 08+ headunit and the kit they sell so it works with the 06-07

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
if you go aftermarket the only thing your going to lose is the uconnect button by the mirror on the 06 and 07. and for an aftermarket headunit your going to need steering wheel control kit besides the head unit so you don't lose ther steering wheel controls. Everything else you will have as long as you buy a headunit with bluetooth, and nav and the satalite radio will work too but you need an adapter for that. new they retail for like $1000. Basically the only benefit of aftermarket is you can play video's while you drive and is more powerful amp in the unit and if you have subs you can control the bass instead of a bass knob. The aftermarket amps all your speakers and subs better than a stock unit. I know blkoutsrt is selling a headunit at a great price.

Here is what you'll need:

Headunit with nav,bluetooth

steering wheel control adapter kit

satelite radio adapter

It's a decent amount of stuff but you'll be happy with the results, a cheaper route is to get an 08+ headunit and the kit they sell so it works with the 06-07
Thanks for the info. I have an 08 now, but it doesn't have Nav.

I'm all ready planning on getting the steering wheel adapter kit and bluetooth/nav.

I talked to my stereo guy and he's done some digging and he's pretty sure he can get the backup camera and rear TV working and that it'll take adapters and some hard wiring.

The part he's not sure about is the back up sensors. Aren't they tied in through the factory stereo? Any opinions?

On a side note, has anybody transferred an 08 factory head unit/tv to an 07? We have an 08 JGC (the wife's vehicle) and we're thinking about putting my 08 head unit into hers. I know the dashes (including the radio bezel) are significantly different.

Thanks

·
Registered
5,047 Posts
The backup sensors are not part of the factory stereo. You can still use the factory backup camera and pac audio makes an adapter to retain the rear dvd (I think you might lose something though, never really looked into it cause I don't have rear dvd).
I swapped out my stock headunit with a Pioneer Z120 and it worked great. I have a thread somewhere on here about how to use the factory backup camera with the aftermarket HU.

·
Registered
970 Posts
The back up sensors have nothing to do with the radio I'm pretty sure,

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The backup sensors are not part of the factory stereo. You can still use the factory backup camera and pac audio makes an adapter to retain the rear dvd (I think you might lose something though, never really looked into it cause I don't have rear dvd).
I swapped out my stock headunit with a Pioneer Z120 and it worked great. I have a thread somewhere on here about how to use the factory backup camera with the aftermarket HU.
That would be great if they're not a part of the factory stereo. I'm not sure, but I thought the audio alert came through the factory speakers. I've never paid close enough attention to it. I know I've grown quite fond of them though.

I'm waiting to see what Kenwood is coming out with in their new model/year line. Should be soon after CES.

Thanks

·
Registered
5,047 Posts
That would be great if they're not a part of the factory stereo. I'm not sure, but I thought the audio alert came through the factory speakers. I've never paid close enough attention to it. I know I've grown quite fond of them though.

I'm waiting to see what Kenwood is coming out with in their new model/year line. Should be soon after CES.

Thanks
I can conform that they are not part of the factory radio. How do I know? I removed the entire factory audio system and the backup sensors still beep and I can hear them.
I looked at a Kenwood unit back when I was looking and the model they had that was comparable was slow and the navigating the system itself sucked. Hopefully they come out with something faster and laid out better.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I can conform that they are not part of the factory radio. How do I know? I removed the entire factory audio system and the backup sensors still beep and I can hear them.
I looked at a Kenwood unit back when I was looking and the model they had that was comparable was slow and the navigating the system itself sucked. Hopefully they come out with something faster and laid out better.
That's great about the back up sensors, thanks!

I've been running Kenwood for 20 years (including my competition days). We currently have the DNX-9960 in my wife's Jeep and have been running that for a year or so. It works well. It is a bit slow and I'm hoping they improve upon that. The current top of the line is the DNX-9980. I haven't had a chance to test that one out. I may pass that one up as soon as I have a look at the new one due to come out.

The built in Garmin GPS works great for us. Plus it helps that my wife works for Garmin.

·
Premium Member
1,134 Posts
My back up sensors cut my audio off when something is detected. And this is a good thing running two 12's back there.

Roll Out!!

Reactions: Blkoutsrt8

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
My back up sensors cut my audio off when something is detected. And this is a good thing running two 12's back there.

Roll Out!!
That's true. Anybody know how this runs through the factory head unit?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.