Cherokee SRT8 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since we know that the leaving the valves open on the WK2 exhaust isn't the best option...anyone consider using one of these Dynomax mufflers that has a valve built in?
http://www.dynomax.com/mufflers.php?muffler=vt
I would think that this would operate in the same fashion as the one from the factory, it may also reduce or eliminate the sound of the valves closing when revving while idling.
Thoughts?

·
Speed Junkie
483 Posts
It would be really nice if we could make this work the valves in the dynomax are for drone purposes I think.

·
Premium Member
2,527 Posts
Sounds too good to be true. Unless they actually tune each muffler for a specific engine/flow rate, I doubt that a simple spring can extort the maximum performance from every single engine out there.

·
The Traveler
5,264 Posts
Sounds too good to be true. Unless they actually tune each muffler for a specific engine/flow rate, I doubt that a simple spring can extort the maximum performance from every single engine out there.
Kind of what I was thinking.

I'll wait it out until someone specifically makes a system for the WK2 and it's been proven to work. Namely Borla :D should be on option soon. They've had one in R&D for a month or two now.

Sent from my iPhone 4S

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Corsa got a Jeep for testing too, according to a facebook source ;)

And I saw the dynomax mufflers before and thought they were a neat idea :D But I doubt the spring rates are the same as what the stock ones are in the Jeep. They do sound nice though :D

·
Coksmith&Master-Pintsman
5,153 Posts
I'd go with Borla, I've found in the past they far outdo Corsa. But, since neither are not now with no teasers or pre-release, its all just speculation.

Another route... if you're willing to spend $1000+ in a marked-up namebrand catback system, why not just have someone who is really good at welding build you a custom stainless dual 3" system that incorporates the valves.... for the same money. My money is that it would far outflow anything mass produced "kit" from either of the two jokers mentioned above.

Harrison, are you listening?

·
Registered
413 Posts
My main goal is to have as little or no drone....I will be taking this truck on road trips, really not trying to hear complaining....lol. What mufflers do you guys recommend in terms of having the least drone. I know of a really good shop. I am going to pay them a visit tomorrow.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
The Traveler
5,264 Posts
I want drone, loud, 5" tips! I want something like the WK1 Borla S but maybe louder haha.

Sent from my iPad 3G

·
Registered
5,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I want drone, loud, 5" tips! I want something like the WK1 Borla S but maybe louder haha.

Sent from my iPad 3G
Replace the stock mufflers with straight pipes and cut the exhaust off after the valves. LOL

·
Coksmith&Master-Pintsman
5,153 Posts
My main goal is to have as little or no drone....I will be taking this truck on road trips, really not trying to hear complaining....lol. What mufflers do you guys recommend in terms of having the least drone. I know of a really good shop. I am going to pay them a visit tomorrow.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app
I dont think you'll get any noticable performance out of just cutting-in new mufflers. Opening up exhaust is something that slowly builds in relation to RPM on a dynograph, and shows up as a peak horsepower number. Its not goign to give you better low end at all, and even if it did, you wouldn't notice an extra 5hp.

If you want noticable gains, you gotta open it up from the headers-back. And if you don't want drone, you need to wait until a benign and neutered "touring system" comes out. it will give you an extra 15hp or so on the top end (again, un-noticable to you in normal driving), and won't have any drone.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.