Cherokee SRT8 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone else got to see their exhaust? I was 'helping' the dealership setup my SRT yesterday and noticed something I didn't think was normal. Coming out of the muffler the right exhaust pipe is about 25% crushed. It looks as though they had to put it in a vice to get it to fit up correctly. Just didn't know if this was normal or it I should have it replaced?!?

you can even see in the picture that it has a black mark through the section that is crushed...you may have to rotate the picture to see it in the correct orientation...

Attachments

·
Premium Whore (Lifetime)
3,065 Posts
The black mark looks like permanent marker, almost like someone tagged it as a flaw. That section of pipe is mangled, it looks like it collapsed in the tubing bender. Not sure how that got past QC :confused:

·
Registered
425 Posts
Maybe the car hit a large bump, object or hit part of a small hill during testing?

Whatever the case, definately not acceptable.

·
Registered
882 Posts
Actually I looked under my truck when the exhaust shop was checking it out and mine is the EXACT same way (same bend right after the resonator on the right side pipe) in the same place as yours is...weird

·
Registered
2010 WK1 coming soon......
1,508 Posts
All 2012's should have that bend......is what the engineers told me.

something to do with the install process. If you check out the exhaust valves behind that bend the spring tensions differ to compensate. At least that was our guess here:confused:

·
The ModMan
5,764 Posts
All 2012's should have that bend......is what the engineers told me.

something to do with the install process. If you check out the exhaust valves behind that bend the spring tensions differ to compensate. At least that was our guess here:confused:
I really hope you are kidding! That is not a bend, that is a damaged pipe! Looks like the flintstones worked on that pipe :(

·
Registered
2010 WK1 coming soon......
1,508 Posts
I really hope you are kidding! That is not a bend, that is a damaged pipe! Looks like the flintstones worked on that pipe :(

Not joking at all, if you have a good look at that bend it appears to be done by a mechanical arm of some sort.

·
The ModMan
5,764 Posts
Holy hell batman you weren't kidding!!!!!!

What is behind this absurdity exactly? seems like Chrysler lost the codes to tune so they just smashed the pipe to make it run less lean lmao.

·
The Traveler
5,264 Posts
Curious where this is going. Subscribed.

Sent from my iPhone 4S

·
Speed Junkie
483 Posts
This would be my guess and it is just that......the system was designed with several valves that restrict flow at certain times as the exhaust passes and if these valves are removed then you see a power loss or other issues (CEL) so maybe this area needed restriction and was not an optimal place for a valve.

Just my thinking could be totally wrong :thinkerg:

·
Registered
806 Posts
Flow Equalization Indentation,OR, Exaust Flow Balanceing Bend

let the acronyms fly, theres my lame ass attempt

1 - 20 of 54 Posts