Cherokee SRT8 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Somy check engine light came on yesterday n I went n got it checked out n I got hit with that i got a small leak in my evaporative emission system, but I got told that there is possibly 4 things that i can get and it will be fixed
1- replace gas cap
2-replace evap leak system
3- replace evap purg
4- replace evap canister
5- replace fuel filter

sorry i guess there was 5 things but anyways im having some trouble on which way to go instead of wasting money trying to get it fixed, If u have any suggestions plz reply and let me know!!
thanks!!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Got the P0442 as well couple months ago. Replaced the ESIM (Evap System Integrity Module) and didn't work.

Did you find a solution? My next step is probably a leak down test but can't find a smoke machine to borrow.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I had it a few months back on my 2012, and mine was the gas cap. I didn’t replace mine, I took the gasket off and cleaned it with hot water and dish soap. I also cleaned the mating surface on the fuel filler neck with a fine abrasive scratch pad.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I would inspect the cap first. Look at the gasket make sure it is clean and not deformed. Also, check the spring tension when you tighten it down. If you can jiggle it around after thoroughly tightening it then you’ll need a new cap. Check the mating surface on the filler neck for debris, corrosion or dings. If that all seems good the dealer can pressurize the system with a smoke machine to find the source of the leak.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts