Cherokee SRT8 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2012 Jeep Srt 6.4L and was having a misfire and rough idle. Micanic broke engine down an told me I need lifters, cam, etc. after waiting almost 3 weeks Micanic finally calls me up tells me my car is ready. So upon arrival I notice my car idle was better an was running much better then before, even check light was off ( mind you this light would turn on so damn fast when I clear code) so evidently I thought he fixed my car. I get on the highway and start to get up on my engine then boom car cuts off and didn’t turned back on. I reached about 90 mph tops. Got it Towed back to shop and Micanic told me that I myself locked up my engine lol from going to fast and possibly making the timing jump. Can some one help me out on here and tell me what he possibly did wrong or maybe what could have happen with my engine? Is it my fault or not does he owe me a new engine? Do I have a easy case if I take him to court? I think they might have to be my route being he is a stiff Micanic. And yes I know I should have went to the dealer smh

·
Premium Member
2013 Wk2 Srt8
159 Posts
It is really hard to say who knows what he used or replaced or even did it seems to be so vague he could have used oem mds cam or oem non mds cam did it still have mds when you picked it up? Any aftermarket cam would have required a tune and therefore additional turning cost. Anyway at an absolute guess I would say possibly cam phaser bolt not torqued down correctly and or not replaced but there would have been a pretty loud bang/vibration when this happened at speed. When it locked up any noises etc anyway I would say something has come loose. How much did he charge you anything in writing?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I’m am Not aware of any of the type of parts that he put on my car but I’m sure he could have made a mistake in that area. And how do I see if has mds? He charged me 4700 in labor and parts and yes I have it in writing.

·
BlaBlaBla
5,292 Posts
I foresee courts in your future. I have pulled my Jeep out of the shop with a lot more work done than that and ran it down the track all day at 150 mph.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2013 Wk2 Srt8
159 Posts
I’m am Not aware of any of the type of parts that he put on my car but I’m sure he could have made a mistake in that area. And how do I see if has mds? He charged me 4700 in labor and parts and yes I have it in writing.
Well I guess it’s a bit hard now with the engine blown you would have to pull the lifters or take off the air intake and see if the mds solenoids are still in but it’s all after the fact now since your in the us i think your in your right to shoot him maybe start with the foot

·
Registered
11 Posts
I had my vehicle at a five-star dealership in Bloomfield Michigan for the exact same scenario needed a cam and lifters after spending almost $6,000 there they told me my car was fine. I drove it seven miles it went back on a tow truck. Spent another $2,000 on stuff that it didn't need that they said was the problem. They gave it back to me for the fifth time saying it was fine drove it less than a hundred miles, engine seized. Paid someone else to tear it down and rebuild it It was full of metal fragments from the cam that they didn't clean out. Yes, I'm going to be sueing them!

·
Registered
2014 Jeep SRT8. Stock. Used buy in 2020 @61,000 mi. Brilliant black crystal pearl
24 Posts
The job you just had done is extremely involved. There is a ton of things being removed to get to the problem area. If you were having enough cam/lifter failure previous to the work done, there is an unbelievably high chance that there was metal left over in the gallery. I’m tossing around the idea of doing mine before it gets to that point because of that reason. If it was under factory warranty they would’ve replaced the entire engine because of metal. It clogs the journals and such and will kill oil pressure. If he didn’t TQ something right either that would make sense for why it just went kaput on you. That engine needs an autopsy done so you can try to reverse the damage sequence and see what actually failed on it. Good luck dude. Find a good dealer to do the digging into it tho for court purposes. They probably won’t be so trusting of Joe Blow down on Main Street.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts