Cherokee SRT8 Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After trying just about everything to get around having headers and with no luck(stock cats, new O2's....) I went to the BMV and asked for a 10,000lb plate, crazy I know but it is emission exempt. The cost is $200 my reg is usually $160 so for $40.... They were a little reluctant to give me the plate but it went through and I am now driving legal again. So if you were on the fence about headers and you live in IN you can now do it with confidence.

· Registered
631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
In Lake and Porter we do

· Registered
631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
There are a lot of Jeep srt's in my area too so just throwing it out there as a new option.

· Straight Up Beast SON!!!
17,142 Posts
So you ended up makes a set of midpipes with stock cats and turned the rear o2's ON and you could not pass emissions with you Stainless Works headers?

· Registered
631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yeah I got some basically new cats like 5k on them and had them welded in and my truck wouldnt recognize the O2's once they were turned on, I kept throwing codes like p0133 and 158 I think and a couple others so I said f it not wasting any more money and did the plates. I dont know if you have to do anything special b/c they have been off so long but nothing I tried worked

17,142 Posts
yeah I got some basically new cats like 5k on them and had them welded in and my truck wouldnt recognize the O2's once they were turned on, I kept throwing codes like p0133 and 158 I think and a couple others so I said f it not wasting any more money and did the plates. I dont know if you have to do anything special b/c they have been off so long but nothing I tried worked
Oh ok... Thanks man! Do you have pics of the midpipes you had made or is it pretty much like Rmon"s idea and what he did?

· Registered
631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
exatly the same that he did I brought it in to a place and they did it only cost me $80 to have them made in did an awesome job too

Reactions: Knuckles

· Registered
2,823 Posts
putting the oem cats in you may have resolved the secondary (post-cat) o2 sensor and catalytic inefficiency codes like P0420, P0430, P2096, and P2098.

P0153 & P0133 are front o2 sensor codes and are most likely set because the primary o2 sensors were moved further down the exhaust stream, away from the cylinder heads. this results in lower temperatures and a slower response time. these two codes will cause you to fail emissions. it's been suggested that perhaps relocating the primary o2 sensors further up the pipe and into one of the primary tubes temporarily may resolve the codes long enough to pass emissions. this hasn't been tested yet, and there's currently no proven way to eliminate these codes.

apart from emissions, the front o2 sensors also play a role in determining afr during closed loop operation. i wouldn't be surprised if those of us with long tube headers that are seeing these primary o2 sensor codes are running rich or not as efficiently when under part-throttle or when cruising, which is when closed loop mode engages.

17,142 Posts
exatly the same that he did I brought it in to a place and they did it only cost me $80 to have them made in did an awesome job too
That's weird that it worked for Rmon...... You think moving the cats in the same position that the stock ones were in will work? Mine is due for emissions in March..... With Rmons setup how long before you get the codes you mention above?

· Registered
2,823 Posts
That's weird that it worked for Rmon...... You think moving the cats in the same position that the stock ones were in will work? Mine is due for emissions in March..... With Rmons setup how long before you get the codes you mention above?
what year is your truck? what brand of headers / cats do you have? what codes are being set?

17,142 Posts
what year is your truck? what brand of headers / cats do you have? what codes are being set?
I have 2008 with Stainless Works 1.875" headers with High flow cats... 0420. 0430, 0153 I believe as its been a very long time since I had the rear o2's ON. I tried the foulers and experimented with them for a bit and I got 400 miles on the passenger side with no codes what so ever, but never went any further with it. Will be experimenting with the stock cats sreal soon....

· Registered
2,823 Posts
I have 2008 with Stainless Works 1.875" headers with High flow cats... 0420. 0430, 0153 I believe as its been a very long time since I had the rear o2's ON. I tried the foulers and experimented with them for a bit and I got 400 miles on the passenger side with no codes what so ever, but never went any furthwer with it. Will be experimenting with the stock cats sreal soon....
i gave the antifoulers a shot as well. ran them double-stacked with some steel wool, but it didn't seem to work. but check this out: when i saw that they weren't working i just left them in there. some time down the line, (it's hard to say how much time / miles passed, it must have been 6 months or so), i remember there were a few days in which i was actually passing the emissions self-check. every time i would turn the key to "on" in the morning, instead of hearing the bell and seeing the MIL blink, it would simply go off. this only happened a handful of times and then went back to the usual self-check fails. i don't know why it happened. a few months ago i went to remove the antifoulers, and saw that the steel wool had corroded substantially. i'm thinking that maybe the corrosion process had started the second i got the antifoulers in there, and kept going until getting the ball of steel wool to just the "right" density, which is when i may have passed the emissions self-check. as the corrosion process continued, whatever magical conditions were created in there for those few days changed, and i was right back at square 1, failing the emissions self-test.

this was the only time i passed the emissions self-check since getting headers. i'm thinking that when i have time i'll try loading the antifoulers with more steel wool and timing the mileage to see if it happens again.

· Premium Member
1,131 Posts
Search Emissions for MD and see what we did do pass.

Roll Out!!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.