Cherokee SRT8 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
970 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just drove through water a huge puddle turning down a street, my car shut off and i could see some smoke, it had the red oil light on the dash, it started right back up and i drove off and haven't had a problem starting it. It has a bwoody cai and i bought this truck from the dealership certified pre owned with the cai, when you buy a car certified pre-owned it has to be stock? otherwise is it not certified, and what problems should I look out for?

·
Registered
970 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
update, car almost didn't kick over and start

·
Registered
806 Posts
im sure the "smoke" was only steam the lights may have come on due to momentary belt slippage from being wet as far as it stalling dont kno perhaps it choked the air filter and caused it to die from lack of air. id check the filter when you can and see if its wet if so take it off and maybe you can dry it with a hair dryer
might wanna sit out in the truck and let it iidle for awhile in the hopes the heat created will dry the electrical connections out but id still check the air filter

·
That guy..
1,281 Posts
Might just depend on the dealership.. I work at toyota and a "certified preowned" doesnt have to be stock.. I had a tacoma with intake, exhaust, stero system...

Sound like your truck just didnt like it..

If It would have been me, i would NOT have cranked it right back up to start it..... I would have got out and checked the filter to make sure it wasnt wet..

How long as it been? Couple hours? Let it dry overnight and see how it starts tomorrow..

·
Registered
970 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
it just started up twice after over a 45min period, the second start didnt sound as good, got no check engine light, Just seems i choked out the car

·
That guy..
1,281 Posts
Yeah you probably got water somewhere...

If you ever run into that again you can cause more damage by starting it right back up.. Rather than to get it towed and let it dry out..

Steam was probably from just hitting the exhaust... water probably hit the filter and the ecu knew to shut it down before it sucked water in..

·
Straight Up Beast SON!!!
17,141 Posts
If seems to.me like you sucked up.some water man.... Not good.... Remove the oil cap and see if you see any water or mud under the cap... Also check the oil dip stick and see if you have any water in the oil.... I.have a feeling you bent a valve possibly....

·
Registered
3,772 Posts
You should feel fortunate for not hydrolocking the motor.
I'm with everybody, let the car dry out overnight if you can before starting it again.
Be cautious when you see a puddle, even small ones. You never know.

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
You should feel fortunate for not hydrolocking the motor.
I'm with everybody, let the car dry out overnight if you can before starting it again.
Be cautious when you see a puddle, even small ones. You never know.
If you own a Bwoody. You guys are playing with fire with those things.

·
Premium Whore (Lifetime)
3,065 Posts
If you own a Bwoody. You guys are playing with fire with those things.

C'mon man, that's just your opinion. Its funny that when one of these threads pops up, they never show us how deep the puddle actually was. Even with a stock airbox I wouldn't hammer through puddles, deep water tidal waves into the engine bay at high speed. Thats a good way to snuff a coil pack or worse. I've driven mine tons of times in the rain, granted I have the dryflow cover. What I don't do is run through big puddles, or deep water.

There are more than several of us that have run the Bwoody for years with out a problem. The Bwoody filter is behind the front bumper. Its also sheilded by the front fender liner, It doesn't get direct spray from the road.

I just measured 24" from the ground, to the top of the filter on the Bwoody. So thats about 16-17" from the ground to the bottom of the filter, with Bwoody springs as well.
Lets take a look at how deep that is....

The fog lights have to be underwater for the filter to be submersed. The filter also sits higher than the door sills.

I think people need to keep in mind that our beasts are track rated, not trail rated. No water crossings... :silly:

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
I've just never heard of any other CAI hydrolocking a motor. But that's just me, If there were more than one case of a volant hydrolocking I would get ride of it.

·
Registered
317 Posts
My starter died after driving through some heavy rain when we got that hurricane the other week. I have a mopar intake that doesnt sit too low but I would definitely be careful.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts