Cherokee SRT8 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys - I just recently picked up a 2018 SRT with just under 40k miles. It has a stock exhaust on it for now and I have noticed that cruising around town there seems to be what I would consider drone in the cabin at between 1200 and 1500 rpms. If I switch to sport mode or give it gas to down shift while I can hear (and almost feel) the drone it will go away. Is it the MDS kicking in?

Also, when I really get on it like using launch mode, I can smell sulfur inside the cabin. Doesn't really matter if windows are up or down, I can still smell it.

New to the SRT world so maybe these things are normal, but wasn't sure.

·
BlaBlaBla
5,384 Posts
Hey guys - I just recently picked up a 2018 SRT with just under 40k miles. It has a stock exhaust on it for now and I have noticed that cruising around town there seems to be what I would consider drone in the cabin at between 1200 and 1500 rpms. If I switch to sport mode or give it gas to down shift while I can hear (and almost feel) the drone it will go away. Is it the MDS kicking in?

Also, when I really get on it like using launch mode, I can smell sulfur inside the cabin. Doesn't really matter if windows are up or down, I can still smell it.

All normal. MDS and Hemi fart.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: cride1

·
Registered
40 Posts

Most likely MDS, I keep my custom setting all track and steering on street with AWD at 50/50, feels great cruising around and i never feel the MDS kick in when im in my custom mode. In auto/ default mode i keep eco on so i usually put it in this mode when im on the freeway and ill get around 14.5 mpg. Most any other time or when i get in and start i put it in my custom mode a few mins after start up.

You should not have any of those types of smells! take it back to the dealer or to a shop and have them check the exhaust for any leaks! sounds like your cats are bad but they deff should not be unless they were removed.. under 40k you should still be under warranty.

·
BlaBlaBla
5,384 Posts
Most likely MDS, I keep my custom setting all track and steering on street with AWD at 50/50, feels great cruising around and i never feel the MDS kick in when im in my custom mode. In auto/ default mode i keep eco on so i usually put it in this mode when im on the freeway and ill get around 14.5 mpg. Most any other time or when i get in and start i put it in my custom mode a few mins after start up.

You should not have any of those types of smells! take it back to the dealer or to a shop and have them check the exhaust for any leaks! sounds like your cats are bad but they deff should not be unless they were removed.. under 40k you should still be under warranty.
Hemi engines aren’t the only ones that smell after getting on it hard. It’s caused by gasoline with a higher sulfur content and usually happens when you let off the gas abruptly. I think the gasses back up at the cats temporarily for some reason. (My opinion)
My 07 did it from new from time to time until the catalyst was removed. My 2014 300 SRT has also done it. In my opinion has more to do with the gasoline quality than anything mechanical wrong with the car.

To the OP….
If you want peace of mind, have a mechanic check it out. More than likely your vehicle will check out fine.

I would….
First change out the place where you buy your fuel. Run the car down and fill up with different gas and see what happens.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the reply.

For the record, I use 93 octane from Shell without fail so fuel shouldn't be an issue and I believe Shell is the only "top tier" fuel available in my area.

Hemi engines aren’t the only ones that smell after getting on it hard. It’s caused by gasoline with a higher sulfur content and usually happens when you let off the gas abruptly. I think the gasses back up at the cats temporarily for some reason. (My opinion)
My 07 did it from new from time to time until the catalyst was removed. My 2014 300 SRT has also done it. In my opinion has more to do with the gasoline quality than anything mechanical wrong with the car.

To the OP….
If you want peace of mind, have a mechanic check it out. More than likely your vehicle will check out fine.

I would….
First change out the place where you buy your fuel. Run the car down and fill up with different gas and see what happens.

·
BlaBlaBla
5,384 Posts
Thanks for the reply.

For the record, I use 93 octane from Shell without fail so fuel shouldn't be an issue and I believe Shell is the only "top tier" fuel available in my area.
It won’t hurt to try another brand to rule it out.

·
Registered
9 Posts

I agree with everyone here… the drone is probably just the 4 cylinders running under the MDS system. You may want to check the battery level… located under the passenger seat. Mine was, at one time, overfill and on hard acceleration, I could smell that sulfur smell of the battery acid. Lowered the battery water and the smell went away. If all fails, take it back to the dealership.

good luck!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts