Cherokee SRT8 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was doing a little research and it seems that you can disable the DRL's (high beam lights dimly lit) by removing the fuse.

Will the LED running lights still be on if we turn of the DRL's? Is there a way to disable the DRL's and have just the LED's on?

·
Premium Whore (Lifetime)
3,065 Posts
I was doing a little research and it seems that you can disable the DRL's (high beam lights dimly lit) by removing the fuse.

Will the LED running lights still be on if we turn of the DRL's? Is there a way to disable the DRL's and have just the LED's on?

Why not just change the DRL bulbs to amber, or use LED bulbs?

·
Registered
740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Why not just change the DRL bulbs to amber, or use LED bulbs?
That's a good option as well. The dim high beam doesn't look good at all with those LED running lights.

·
Premium Member
1,465 Posts
Im pretty sure they are a 3157 bulb. You could try silverstars for it and see if it helps.

·
Registered
142 Posts
The DRL are the interior bulb in the headlight, they look terrible, very yellow. Does anyone know what the bulb is so that we can replace it?

·
Premium Member
1,465 Posts
The DRL are the interior bulb in the headlight, they look terrible, very yellow. Does anyone know what the bulb is so that we can replace it?
Seriously? Look one post up.

·
Registered
3,303 Posts
i guess the HID models don't have DRLs? i don't see any extra bulbs in mine....

DAYTIME RUNNING LAMPS

Canada

2005-up WK Grand Cherokee vehicles manufactured for sale in Canada illuminate the high beam headlamp bulb in each front lamp unit at a reduced intensity to serve as the Daytime Running Lamps (DRL).

Vehicles manufactured for sale in Canada illuminate the high beam filament of both headlamp bulbs at a reduced intensity when the engine is running, the parking brake is released, the automatic transmission gear selector is not in the PARK position and the exterior lamps are turned OFF. The FCM must be programmed appropriately for this feature to be enabled. Once enabled, anytime the FCM receives electronic messages over the CAN data bus from the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) indicating the engine is running, from the SCM indicating the status of the left (lighting) multi-function switch input is in the OFF or A (Automatic) positions and from the EMIC indicating that the parking brake lever is released, the FCM provides a pulse width modulated voltage output to the headlamp high beam bulb filaments through the right and left high beam feed circuits to produce illumination at a reduced intensity.

U.S.A.

U.S. fleet vehicles illuminate the low beam headlamp bulb in each front lamp unit to serve as DRL. Officially, non-fleet U.S. Grand Cherokee WK's are not certified to have the DRL feature enabled. However, we have confirmed that some owners have had this done at their dealer. All that was required was simple reprogramming via the DRB scan tool.

·
Premium Member
1,465 Posts
aren't those turn signal bulbs? I guess it is possible they put those in the headlight fixture for the DRLs.
They are reverse bulbs on 2005-2006 WK1. I was surprised too, we were gonna replace them on Roger's new jeep but the store didnt have the silverstars in stock when we went. You could also do the LED bulbs that people put in their reverse on 06's.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
I thought the LED's were DRL's. They are on audi's, isnt that the point ?

·
Registered
740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I feel like the question is getting confused, check out the picture below.

·
Premium Member
1,465 Posts
^ Yeah, that is what I was referring to.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Correct the LEDs are on all the time AKA DRL. The yellow light in the headlight housing is on when the headlights are on or if you set the lights to the middle setting where you have them on with the fogs and the LEDs but no headlight.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I couldn't agree more. The daytime running lights look absolutely horrible. I took out the daytime running lights and found the bulb number. I went to my local AutoZone and they were out of stock. it is a piece of cake to change those bulbs. There's nothing complicated how do you just need to find silver stars and pop them in. LEDs will look fine to however I couldn't find a pair. I didn't really look hard stuff. Be careful on eBay. There are many people selling bolts for SRT8's but when you buy them and receive them they are not remotely for that car. You'll get ripped off so be careful. I speak from experience.

·
Registered
740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I couldn't agree more. The daytime running lights look absolutely horrible. I took out the daytime running lights and found the bulb number. I went to my local AutoZone and they were out of stock. it is a piece of cake to change those bulbs. There's nothing complicated how do you just need to find silver stars and pop them in. LEDs will look fine to however I couldn't find a pair. I didn't really look hard stuff. Be careful on eBay. There are many people selling bolts for SRT8's but when you buy them and receive them they are not remotely for that car. You'll get ripped off so be careful. I speak from experience.
does removing that bulb cause a code or notification on the dash?

·
Registered
5 Posts
does removing that bulb cause a code or notification on the dash?
At some point i hope to be annoyed enough to try either taping up the bulb so you cant tell its on or preferably removing it all together and see if it shows anything on the dash. I dont want LED's or brighter bulbs, I just want it GONE! :)

·
Registered
882 Posts
I feel like the question is getting confused, check out the picture below.

Wow old thread, but also fail on my part for looking at this picture for like 60 seconds wondering why it seems to familiar, then realizing its my truck and my picture...face palm moment

Also I think other users have removed the bulb for the DRL yellowish one up top without having any dash lights or anything?

·
Registered
740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Yes it was confirmed by just removing the bulb will not trigger any errors.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts