Cherokee SRT8 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys,
I have a 2012 Jeep SRT8 that i have has since new. Now at 95K kilometres.
About 6 months ago it started clunking on take off and has slowly been getting worse.
Once cruising their is no noise at all. Slow speed also has no noise.
You know its bad when you put someone in you car who knows nothing about cars and the first thing they say as you pull away from the kerb is "Is you diff ok??"

Just at acceleration and up to gear change it knocks/clunks.
I've checked exhaust for touching and heat shields but all is good there too.

I got sick of excuses from dealership so have take it to 2 mechanics who are also baffled.
Read diff bush seems to have 1/4 inch play in but all the driveline bushes seem to allow for the same play.
It can be replicated at stand still if put under load and shifted from drive to reverse then back again.
We put it up on a 4 post hoist and tested it under load but really are still none the wiser to the problem.

I have had a leak on the right hand side of my transfer case since forever (apparently replaced seal 3 times)

Some people are telling me is old oil but dealer told me they replaced it. (which means it could possibly be old still)
other are saying its a software update..

So who has had this problem? Who can help me?
I can't do another dealer as the bullshit level is infuriating..

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
The people saying software are confusing your vehicle with the 2014-2015s that got shitty updates last year around this time.

·
Registered
7 Posts
clunking noises

Sounds exactly like how my truck was. I changed my differential's and tcase fluids and all my clunking went away. when was the last time the fluids were changed?

·
Registered
160 Posts
my 14 was doing the same thing and upon notifying the dealership about it, they said they found loose u joints in the front drive shaft. They replaced the front drive shaft and it seems smoother now

·
Registered
156 Posts
If you change your transfer case fluid and it is still there then it is probably your transfer case is toast. I had the same issue as you. Well it sounds like it anyway. Dealer was ripping his hair out. They thought is was the diff, could not see anything wrong inside so put a new one in plus new drive shafts all round...same issue was still there. After every mechanic in the dealership giving their opinion, each thinking they are better then the other, they decided to put a new transmission in...5 spd... Same issue still reared its head. They had already changed the fluid in the transfer case so decided to put a new one in as that was about the last option. Perfect after that. They then sent the transfer case away to some techs so they could see what was causing it so they can educate themselves. Not sure what the outcome was on it. I got lucky with the new diff, drive shafts, transmission only to discover it was the transfer case. So will be worth your while looking hard at it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
If you change your transfer case fluid and it is still there then it is probably your transfer case is toast. I had the same issue as you. Well it sounds like it anyway. Dealer was ripping his hair out. They thought is was the diff, could not see anything wrong inside so put a new one in plus new drive shafts all round...same issue was still there. After every mechanic in the dealership giving their opinion, each thinking they are better then the other, they decided to put a new transmission in...5 spd... Same issue still reared its head. They had already changed the fluid in the transfer case so decided to put a new one in as that was about the last option. Perfect after that. They then sent the transfer case away to some techs so they could see what was causing it so they can educate themselves. Not sure what the outcome was on it. I got lucky with the new diff, drive shafts, transmission only to discover it was the transfer case. So will be worth your while looking hard at it.
I have a 2012 SRT with 51k and this exact issue is happening. Clunks on takeoff from stops. Dealer replaced the differential ($4k) and no change, so I essentially put a match to $4k and now I'm a bit gun shy to go back to them and tell them to replace the Transfercase ($4.5k). I don't have much faith in their diagnostic abilities, but after reading your experience I feel a bit more confident the T-case is my issue. Did you ever follow up with your mechanics to see what they heard was wrong with your old transfercase?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hey guys,
About 6 months ago it started clunking on take off and has slowly been getting worse.
You know its bad when you put someone in you car who knows nothing about cars and the first thing they say as you pull away from the kerb is "Is you diff ok??"

I got sick of excuses from dealership so have take it to 2 mechanics who are also baffled.
Read diff bush seems to have 1/4 inch play in but all the driveline bushes seem to allow for the same play.
It can be replicated at stand still if put under load and shifted from drive to reverse then back again.
We put it up on a 4 post hoist and tested it under load but really are still none the wiser to the problem.

I have had a leak on the right hand side of my transfer case since forever (apparently replaced seal 3 times)

Some people are telling me is old oil but dealer told me they replaced it. (which means it could possibly be old still)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hey guys,

I have the exact same problem on my 2017 Jeep GC SRT so far the dealer has replaced the rear dif. and checked and torqued at the bolts. The problem is persists. Have you had any luck getting yours fixed?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts