Cherokee SRT8 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

· Registered
2,535 Posts
Done! 32 to go

· Registered
673 Posts
does anyone know why the viper was originally canned? no cheating...
Chrysler was in the $hitter and in big need of restructering....a flagship sports car was probably the last thing on their minds.

.....oh that, and Benzo stole the chassis designed for the then upcoming Gen 5 Viper for their SLS AMG supercar before Diamler split with Chrysler. :fight:

· Registered
3,304 Posts
Chrysler was in the $hitter and in big need of restructering....a flagship sports car was probably the last thing on their minds.

.....oh that, and Benzo stole the chassis designed for the then upcoming Gen 5 Viper for their SLS AMG supercar before Diamler split with Chrysler. :fight:
nope, all cars on the road needed traction control as a standard and the viper didn't have any so they had to stop production and thats right from the head of SRT groups mouth

· Registered
673 Posts
nope, all cars on the road needed traction control as a standard and the viper didn't have any so they had to stop production and thats right from the head of SRT groups mouth
Ahh good point. I forgot about that mandate. GM was way ahead of everyone on that. Seems they could retrofit a traction control system though fairly easily, I feel like they really threw everyone some BS with that answer.

For instance here is the Gen 5 traction control system in a Gen 4 Viper in a snow test last year.

http://wot.motortrend.com/we-hear-new–2013-dodge-viper-to-get-massive-8-7-liter-v-10-130273.html

Not saying you're wrong about what was said, I just think there was more to the decision than just "oh, the car doesn't come with TC." Automotive manufacturers have slapped TC on models mid-year in some cases as an update. Chrysler coulda, they just didn't wanna.

· Has Been
8,532 Posts
Awesome news Johnny thanks for sharing. I definitely want to see a teaser!

· Sur Askdalotte
2,482 Posts
They didn't "have to" stop production, nor did they stop production because of traction control. The federal requirement was phased in over several years, something that Dodge was well aware of many years before the end of the Gen IV Viper. 100% compliance was not required until the 2012 model year.

· Marathon Man
3,229 Posts
Looking forward to seeing the teaser, but I don't have a facebook account to sign up myself.

· Registered
2,535 Posts
The 6.4 crate motor is based off the 6.1 and the 6.4 production motor is based off the 5.7. Two different platforms

1 - 20 of 46 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.