Cherokee SRT8 Forum banner

Does my Srt have a Black Box

6K views 43 replies 28 participants last post by  Diamond_Ed 
#1 · (Edited)
Some people have told me my jeep may have a black box recorder that registers all dash readings when it shuts down. Is this true .

#4 · (Edited)
I lost the key while i was ditching the truck on the highway. It was late at night and the tow company disconnected the battery because the flashers and horn were flashing and honking. I also had to replace a few mods i made w stock parts. Its pretty much been a complete disaster since it happened.

#6 ·
I lost the key while i was ditching the truck on the highway. It was late at night and the tow company disconnected the battery because the flashers and horn were flashing and honking. I also had to replace a few mods i made w stock parts. Its pretty much been a complete disaster since it happened. So does any one think im going to have a problem w my warrenty
I'm not trying to be smarta$$ or anything here but I think your first sentence answers the last one.

Jim

#10 ·
Ive never heard of MPH of RPMS voiding a warranty ... if they allow the car to reach such limits than they have to warrant them.

Just revert to fully stock, with stock tune. drop it off and say you have no idea what happened...

play dumb

#12 ·
this seems a bit crazy what went on fire in the wheel well...please keep use updated on what happens..very interesting story!

#13 ·
I've seen sparks shoot out of the wheels under heaving braking. Not sure on the SRT though? But seen it happen on other cars while street racing in my younger days.

Sent from my iPhone 4S

#14 ·

#16 ·
HAHAH yeah its back to stock, i figure i shot a rod through the block. I was going so fast the fire put its self out. I later found out there was a state trooper going south as i was headed north, he saw me on fire. I must have looked like Haleys comet lol. I have had that truck full out numerous times. It only has 40,000 miles. If all else fails im going to upgrade to the 426.

#17 ·
My mechanic seem's to think the fire was caused by the oil dumping out the hole in the block on to the hot header's. It was most likely smothered by the speed and lack of oxygen and total loss of oil. It was a pretty crazy night. My friend in the mustang summed it up as epic.

#18 ·
What type of warranty do you have that it would be still in effect at 40k? Did you buy the extended? Thought the factory warranty was 3 years/36k.

Stix

#20 ·
its just speculation at this point. A little oil left on the right side header. tiny little puddle. I just have no clue y else it would have flames out the wheel well's. Possible low oil pressure or low oil may have caused a bearing to seize and then the failure. Its going to the PLACE I BOUGHT IT FROM TOMORROW SO ILL DEF KEEP YOU ALL UPDATED. i WAS JUST WORRIED ABOUT THE BLACK BOX SHOWING THE DASH READINGS...THI8NGS LIKE POSSIBLE LOW OIL PRESSURE EXCESSIVE SPEED AND ALIKE.

#22 ·
When I blew the block on my STi it caught fire as well ... but there was no way it was going out on its own !! took nearly the entire extinguisher I had on board to put it out.

Damn did that things make a bang though .. sleeved block split like a toothpick lol

#24 ·
Dude posting this up on a board with all these details and then saying you're bringing it back to the dealer for a warranty claim isn't really the right move.

This is all you needed.

"Is there a black box in these Jeeps? I was told that there was one and it records all data. Is that true?"

No details needed.

If I work for your warranty company (if it is an aftermarket) or if I am working for Chrysler if you have a warranty through them, first thing I'm going to do is look on the forums. And if I happen to see that someone is describing a jeep on fire and I happen to have a claim where a Jeep caught fire, a red flag is going up.

#34 ·
I was going to say the same thing. I hope the dealership, or the warranty company isn't on the boards, however I know Chrysler will frequent these threads every now and then to offer advise or customer service.

At any rate, best of luck with the Jeep :)

#26 ·
I can tell you for certain when a blown motor is involved the decision goes to Chrysler Engineering not at the dealer level. I've been told point blank in person by an SRT engineer that they can tell how many times a PCM has been flashed and you can bet they'll also have all the data on the max RPM's and speed etc before the catastrophic failure at their disposal.

Bernie

#28 ·
Im not to sure as to what side the flames came out of more. I could just see alot of yellow light in my side view mirrors. @Speedking...Im not sure how you drive but i put mine through its paces. On a long stretch of desserted highway late at night when the air is cold that beast comes alive. I didnt realize putting a whipping on a mustang and defending the hemi/SRT reputation made me a jack ass. I guess were all jackass on this forum then because i like to enjoy the full performance of my vehicle just like my fellow SRT owners. I appreciate every one's input and if its not covered then ill upgrade to the 426.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.