Cherokee SRT8 Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
Can't find any posts which mention this thought I'd better ask

About to start replacing my interior lights with led's and wondered if the map lights (overhead centre) were ok as led as they don't just turn off when you close the doors, they fade from on to off.

Do the led's still do this? Assuming it's not some euro spec oddity and your jeeps do it too

·
Registered
190 Posts
I replaced my interiors with LED's from V-LEDs and they fade just the same as they would with halogen bulbs....

·
Premium Member
682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Cool
Thanks guys

·
Registered
5,005 Posts
Mine did the same and actually stayed dimely lit all the time. You can add a resistor to fix the issue and it also will make them go out as a regular bulb without effecting brightness.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Jeez....I bought mine from superleds.com and mine are not fading and the over head map lights stay dimly lit all the time (even with the ignition off).....wtf

·
Registered
5,005 Posts
Jeez....I bought mine from superleds.com and mine are not fading and the over head map lights stay dimly lit all the time (even with the ignition off).....wtf
Common problem actually. There are 2 solutions:
1 - Leave a filament bulb in the tailgate (I heard this works but never tried it)
2 - Put a 1.5K ohm resistor on one of the map light LEDs. I soldered it right to the led itself, it doesnt make any difference in output, I dont have a heat issue with the resistor, and the lights stay off and go right out when I turn them off.

·
Premium Member
682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Dome lights, map lights and footwell lights done wow What a difference definitely a must do upgrade, now to work out what to do with rear hatch lighting which is less than useless

Does an led bulb in there really help?

·
Registered
820 Posts
Common problem actually. There are 2 solutions:
1 - Leave a filament bulb in the tailgate (I heard this works but never tried it)
2 - Put a 1.5K ohm resistor on one of the map light LEDs. I soldered it right to the led itself, it doesnt make any difference in output, I dont have a heat issue with the resistor, and the lights stay off and go right out when I turn them off.
any pic of the led you had to mod. my map lights fade then stay on all the time too.

·
Premium Member
2,527 Posts
no. LED bulbs are more directional in nature so the bulb needed to upgrade the hatch light will most likely have a single forward facing LED diode which will not cover the the hatch area.

Steve

How comforting that we have a sponsored dealer who's in the know. Great advice Steve, thanks.

I'm just waiting on my 2012 GC to come in, will definitely be pming you for advice as to which LED's to order for my truck. From you, obviously LOL

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.