Cherokee SRT8 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,655 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since most of you know I'm setting up my build just waiting for Chrysler. It got me thinking?

self : I said, what are my goals? Will I ever really go to the track? I still have two coupons for the srt track experience waiting to be used.

Do I want the extra something for street to be sure I can humble the rash of new mustang and camaro or worse yet the countless rice put puts.

So for all of you who have mod what did you go with a NA set up or did you go the turbos and why?

I know a lot depends on where you want to end up but is it better to just save longer and drop in a complete stroker at on shot then go the chargers or turbos later? Rather then spending double or triple for piece By piece with min gain?

Just like to see the interesting thoughts of the many experienced builds that we learned from, and if it can help new people go the right path then that's great

·
Premium Member
17,140 Posts
I went with a turbo bc it's more efficient. It's not stealing power from the engine to make the power. You can run boost on a stock engine, you just can't run all that much of it. I have run 10psi on a stock bottom end with race gas. I run 7psi on the street and that puts me right at the 600awhp mark. It's pretty fun.:D A turbo system is more money but it's hard to outgrow it. Do it right the first time and it cam carry you well into crazy hp numbers when you forge an engine. Stroker or FI, you're going to eventually need a tranny. With a cam and bolt ons I ran an 11.84 at Atco last year. You can run 11's with a stock bottom end and the right mods.

When we design a system for a vehicle we ask the customer what their long term hp. goals are. What you do first depends on your wallet. A stroker will yield you mid to high 11's. A blower will yield anywhere from low to high 11's. A turbo..... well, we haven't done a pretty stock Jeep yet but I've run anywhere from 10.6 to 10.8's with a cam, headers, tranny, t case, and a few other supporting mods. It's tough to beat the power of a turbo. Psi to Psi.... a turbo will outperform a blower all day long.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Premium Member
1,655 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's a great thought. What would be the more reliable persay build? The NA or what you suggested? Also at what point with a NA build would you have to do tran work? :boohoo:

·
PWR - Boosted & Stroked
8,565 Posts
I went with an NA for now, couldn't pass up one of Andy's deals. Plus I really wanted the sound of headers &a nice cam. Most say around 550whp is the limit for the tranny. You can get a valve body or blue tops to help extend the life. Your driving style will play a big factor also. Planning on saving for the drive train & than a trip to Harrison for one of them turbos.

Jim

·
Registered
8,340 Posts
I went with a 426 stroker and a big azz blower and drivetrain... lol.... And its my DD, basically i decided that i'm too much of a dumba$$ to just install a blower b/c i knew that i would break something, so i tried to build something that will be hard for me to break... Should be done in a few weeks...

·
Premium Member
17,140 Posts
That's a great thought. What would be the more reliable persay build? The NA or what you suggested? Also at what point with a NA build would you have to do tran work? :boohoo:
NA will usually always be more reliable. There's just less stuff to go wrong. It's easier to tune, it's stronger, and it'll last you for whatever you want to do next usually. Building one though for strictly NA vs. FI though is tough. If you build a mean NA stroker with high compression, kiss FI goodbye. If you build a stroker for FI.... it's just not really gonna be all that mean until it's boosted. It'll still pull don't get me wrong but not as hard as a higher compression engine. I think BuilderBill back in the day had a low compression "pooch" engine as he called it and said it was a dog. Whatever you do...... good luck man.

·
Registered
8,340 Posts
NA will usually always be more reliable. There's just less stuff to go wrong. It's easier to tune, it's stronger, and it'll last you for whatever you want to do next usually. Building one though for strictly NA vs. FI though is tough. If you build a mean NA stroker with high compression, kiss FI goodbye. If you build a stroker for FI.... it's just not really gonna be all that mean until it's boosted. It'll still pull don't get me wrong but not as hard as a higher compression engine. I think BuilderBill back in the day had a low compression "pooch" engine as he called it and said it was a dog. Whatever you do...... good luck man.
This pretty much sums it all up.... Great post harry!

·
Premium Member
16,354 Posts
I chose supercharged because I've always liked them. I am a mustang guy and have been around whipple and KB since I got into the hobby.

The sound really sold me. I can drive my truck hard every day and not worry at my current 5-6lb boost. I'm also about looks. A symmetrical look for me does it on the twin screws!!

Oh did I mention the sound? :D

·
Premium Member
1,655 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
See I like the reliability of a well built NA. I also think I fall in the old side of natural built power. Now don't get me wrong. I love the look od a nice supercharger or turbo in fact I was getting ready to purchase a vortech system before my engine blew.

I still can just get a stock 6.1 and go that way for about the same money. I don't know there is something about having a jeep with a well built 426 stroker that keeps pulling me in that direction. I already have the corsa exhaust and afe stage two so I would love to see what that set up gets me with a proper dyno tune.
Am I crazy? Is this the most common mod? Low 11s is were I want to be.

Reactions: junior666

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
Lot of good perspectives. I wanted to keeP my stOck bottom end and tranny so I went with a blower. Thought about stroker after run in with a 440 but then when you get rid of the jeep you will eat a lot of what you put into the motor. I wanted something I could unbolt at end end of the day and still get partial investment. I went with a Maggie 8lb kit and builder bill stage 2 valve body. My motor is bone stock otherwise. I'm not starting a blower vs blower spat but the Maggie is fine and looks good under hood. It s a well built piece and you could always unbolt it And sell down the line. Its my dd and runs fine. Only race I have lost was to a 440 jeep but that's ok:) I killed an m5 from a roll the other day.

As Harrison said a turbo is unbeatable at the end of the day but they are expensive and require a lot more of everything. DePends on your budget.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts