Cherokee SRT8 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted a recent thread on going from an '05 CTS-V to an '08-'10 SRT8 and the replies were helpful. Now I'm wondering about going with the WK1 SRT8 or just a standard HEMI WK2.

I'm going to be driving about 1500-2000 miles per month for my job. I'm thinking the SRT8 will definitely satisfy my need for HP on a daily basis and be a good incentive to get out there and cover all those miles. I get the full IRS rate 55.5 cents/mile to pay for fuel (separate car "allowance" as well) so fuel economy comes down to how much of that 55.5 cents do I want to pocket after paying for gas. Could I expect 19-20mpg out of the WK2 HEMI with MDS? I'm hearing that I might get upwards of 16-17 highway mpg on the SRT8 with CAI and a tune. Realistic?

WK2 interior certainly looks like a step up. Interested to know how it compares to the SRT8 day to day.

How do the different suspension modes on the WK2 really work in the real world (Sport, Snow, etc). Useful or just a cool gimmick?

It looks like I can get into a 2010 SRT8 in the $36-37K range. For the same price I can get into a 2011 WK2 Limited and perhaps Overland both with the HEMI.

Anything else you guys might suggest?

·
Registered
11,237 Posts
If I was in your shoe , the 2011 5.7 wouldn't even be an option .. SRT WK1 all the way ... Specially when it comes to value for your dollar ... Also if you are a performance enthusiastic , again the 5.7 wouldn't
even be an option comparing with the WK1 SRT . Just my .2

·
Registered
180 Posts
I have to agree. You will always wish you would have gone SRT8. The 5.7 will never satisfy.
With the SRT8 you can always drive slower, but with the 5.7 you will never go faster!

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
No question,especially since you are getting paid to drive. And the interior in the WK1 is not bad like a lot of people claim. I think it's really nice myself.

·
PWR - Boosted & Stroked
8,565 Posts
I've driven a couple WK2's v6 &Hemi. They are both nice & would be great for that kind of DD. Neither can compare with the power of the SRT. Best advice is to find & drive both back to back than make your decision. The SRT is incredible on road trips. Just an FYI I drove an RT Challenger & came back thinking it was a dog compared to the SRT. My salesman was laughing saying actually its pretty fast but not compared to the Jeep.

Jim

·
Registered
8,340 Posts
If i were you and i got the 5.7 i would always regret it... but i'm a big wk1 srt fan....

·
Premium Member
1,050 Posts
If you want the power and handling of a SRT in a SUV, get the Jeep WK1 SRT no question and they are (were) quite a bargain.

As for non SRT, there are better SUVs for primarily on road use than the Jeep GC in my opinion. I don't think I would ever consider buying the regular Jeep GC, it is too small for one thing. We looked at a 2012 Overland and the MPG ratings were the same as the SRT WK1 I think.

·
Registered
11,237 Posts
If you want the power and handling of a SRT in a SUV, get the Jeep WK1 SRT no question and they are (were) quite a bargain.

As for non SRT, there are better SUVs for primarily on road use than the Jeep GC in my opinion. I don't think I would ever consider buying the regular Jeep GC, it is too small for one thing. We looked at a 2012 Overland and the MPG ratings were the same as the SRT WK1 I think.
Couldn't agree more ;)

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Good comments so far, thanks. I think I have myself talked back into the SRT (who am I kidding, I don't think I ever talked myself out of it!) Now to find an '08-10 with the options I want. They have a 2010 with 7500 miles real close to me here but listed at $42K. Haven't had any time to get over there to see if they will deal. What do you guys think is a fair offer on this one (I also had a link in my previous thread if you already looked at it).

http://www.hondanorth.net/ou/honda-north/3147_2046/inv/2010JeepGrand%20Cherokee/U11316

It's very clean and has the Kicker but looks like someone stole the sub. 50% of the ones I've found with Kicker are missing the sub! Also has what looks to be a Borla system but the tips are pushed way in. If you look at the one angled shot I *think* that's the look the owner was going for. To have them sit flush with the rear valance. I have to get under there and look. I'm really looking for blue but red might do.

·
Registered
245 Posts
HAHA is that even a question. LOL. WK1 all day.

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
I dunno man, the new GC's are pretty nice. It would be a tough decision for me if I really had to break it down. The wk1 interior is just absolute junk IMO. And the biggest downfall of this platform.

·
Registered
479 Posts
I would consider the SRT8 or a non Jeep. Regular WK's 1 & 2
are boring. Maybe used X5 4.8

·
Registered
147 Posts
Definitely the WK1, buying new sucks anyway. Let somebody else eat the depreciation.

·
Has Been
8,532 Posts
They are two totally different vehicles, (especially since its old gen vs. new gen) so its pretty hard to compare them. If you are looking for a vehicle which will provide you will satisfying power at the expense of some interior features than the WK1 SRT8 is your match. But if your looking for a plain jane SUV that has a nice interior the WK2 Grand Cherokee is your vehicle.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for all the advice guys. Just closed a deal on a 2009 Modern Blue SRT8 with 25K miles. Every option available minus the block heater plus already has the Mopar CAI. Someone stole the kicker sub at one point. Extremely CLEAN vehicle. Pics to follow.

·
PWR - Boosted & Stroked
8,565 Posts
Thanks for all the advice guys. Just closed a deal on a 2009 Modern Blue SRT8 with 25K miles. Every option available minus the block heater plus already has the Mopar CAI. Someone stole the kicker sub at one point. Extremely CLEAN vehicle. Pics to follow.
Nice choice & the best & rarest color. You're gonna love it. Now get them pics up, even though pics of Modern Blue don't show how it really looks.

Jim

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Nice choice & the best & rarest color. You're gonna love it. Now get them pics up, even though pics of Modern Blue don't show how it really looks.

Jim
Absolutely LOVE the blue. It's stunning when properly detailed. Will post up pics when I have it in my possession next week. Wondering how many of the blue are loaded up with options as much as this one. I'm thinking this is indeed a rare beast.

·
PWR - Boosted & Stroked
8,565 Posts
Absolutely LOVE the blue. It's stunning when properly detailed. Will post up pics when I have it in my possession next week. Wondering how many of the blue are loaded up with options as much as this one. I'm thinking this is indeed a rare beast.
You can go over to wkjeeps.com & find out how many were built total for the 2.5yrs they had it, its around 220 for all years combined. Mines fully loaded, no block heater & the sticker was 51,135.

Jim

·
Registered
158 Posts
This is like asking if you should bang a thin hot blonde everynight or the take the fat girl because she has a nice personality.

·
Registered
147 Posts
This is like asking if you should bang a thin hot blonde everynight or the take the fat girl because she has a nice personality.
I lol'ed.

Perfect analogy

1 - 20 of 20 Posts