Cherokee SRT8 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So rather then get more Pirelli snow tires or go with the more common brands I decided to try the cheap route and went with Vredestein Wintrac Pros in 275/50r20 which is a bit wide but seems to be doing fine so far in the snow. Here's some pictures of them, I will update this thread in a month or so to give a better picture of how they drive relative to my old Pirelli snows. So far first week has been fine but waiting on some deeper snow. They are of course way better then the Michelin all seasons I had on just before which will wait to go back on in late may. They were $233 a piece not including a $75 off cupon. As expected no rubbing.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Keep us posted as to how it will perform on snow and sleet. I have never tried to purchase cheap tires since want to ensure my safety when I am driving my car.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So far so good in up to 6 inches of snow (yesterday). We have a ton of ice and slush today and it did fine in that too. I did slide a bit on way to work on a patch of black ice but thats actually pretty usual as they dont plow most roads and the trucks that lay down dirt for traction had not come by yet. Im happy so far and cant tell any difference from the Pirellis. Will see when we have 9 inches or so (in the past thats when it would get high centered in deep snow. Will keep updating. 6inches was fine with light top 1/2 and thicker wet lower snow. Would like to see how it does with a lot more powder snow. I do think the people with the studs seem to stop a bit quicker on the ice then I do, its still a big improvement to all seasons though.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OK as an update we had freezing rain and a giant patch of black ice on driveway and even on the dirt road I live on where it must have melted and refrozen when temp dropped again. I got out VERY SLOWLY sliding much of the way. get studs if you live in similar conditions, It usually is not quite this bad here but still. I did end up putting traction sand down my driveway and out to the middle of the ice slick but would not want to hit that going 40mph. I guess my take home point is if you live where there is a ton of black slick ice get studs for sure. If it had been older ice with the little ridges i think it would have been ok but too early in winter for that to form and they have not used traction compound (dirt/sand pebbles) on the roads yet.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
OK another update we had some deeper fresh snow yesterday and the tires did really well at 6 inches or so (some deeper drifts). At this point I still would have liked studs for when things are post freezing rain and a sheet of ice but otherwise these tires have done great at all speeds. They have been very impressive on mixed cover (snow, slush, ice) highway when transitioning lanes at about 65-70, with no slips at speed. I found out on the consumer reports site that these are actually the top rated sport snow tires on the site (I bought randomly as they were cheap on sale and I had never heard of the brand). If I were doing this again I still think studed for my next set simply because of the one day with super icy conditions.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts