Registered
1,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Front done, still have back to do.

Blow dryer- check
Toothfloss- check (useless)
Screwdriver inside cloth- check
Goo Gone- check

My fingernails have separated from my hand as I was trying to "roll" the black adhesive off.....?

Anyone have a better process for getting that stuff off a little easier?

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Premium Member
16,354 Posts
I used a credit card for mine(was ruined by the end). It did leave some hair line scratches that easily came off with a quick buff. You'd never know.

Warm it up for a good time. I know all about the fingernails and I couldn't take it.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't have a buffer, so I used Pinnacle cleaner then Souveran by hand.........seems to have his any scratches.
Was the rear as hard as the front?

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Registered
665 Posts
Long Fishing line and try to get it as close to the body when it starts to cut so ther is less left on and take long strokes so the line will not heat up and break . I used my thumb to roll back the rest and it hurts just as much as the finger nails . But like High heels beauty hurts .

·
That'l Buff Out
1,559 Posts
This first:
-Credit Card (will be ruined like johnny said)
-Goo Gone
-Terry Cloth Towel

Soak towel with Goo Gone, lay on badge to let backing absorb it, work credit card around behind badge to wedge each letter off.
This will take of the badge itself, leaving a foamy black backing.

Next:

-Goo Gone
-Terry Cloth Towel

Soak part of towel with Goo Gone, lay over stuck on black backing, let it sit to absorb. Rub more with towel and Goo Gone and backing will come off.

Residue gone now use polish (not wax) to remove any etching from process or from badge.

Nice layer of wax after polish, will look badges were never there.

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
fishing line win.

heat em up real good, especially if youre outside right now in PITT! Whenever I debadge I always the em sit out in the sun for a while, props to u doing it in december!

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
fishing line win.

heat em up real good, especially if youre outside right now in PITT! Whenever I debadge I always the em sit out in the sun for a while, props to u doing it in december!
In a semi heated garage with a hair dryer.............still cold as hell.........LOLOLOL

Sent from my Autoguide iPad app

·
Premium Member
1,480 Posts
It is hard.Who ever came up with the dental floss idea should be shot.I've messed up to many times and get frustrated.Now I go to the window tinter or bodyshop give them $20 to take them off or a little more to put something different.They line it up better than I ever do I always question if I'm lined up.By the time I buy the floss the gum off and drive around to get this shit.Plus I'm always in a hurry to do a mode and for some reason my wife starts complaining when I'm in mode mood before we go out to dinner

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It is hard.Who ever came up with the dental floss idea should be shot.I've messed up to many times and get frustrated.Now I go to the window tinter or bodyshop give them $20 to take them off or a little more to put something different.They line it up better than I ever do I always question if I'm lined up.By the time I buy the floss the gum off and drive around to get this shit.Plus I'm always in a hurry to do a mode and for some reason my wife starts complaining when I'm in mode mood before we go out to dinner
I agree King! That floss bullshit ain't working. I'm just prying the damn things off and using by $150 wax to get the scratches off.........lol

Borla S
Volant CAI
BT Can
Eibach
Half-debadged

·
Registered
665 Posts
LOL I tell you fishing line works as long as you don't over heat it . .If debadging is getting you Pi$$ed off i hate to see you do harder things . :)

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Harder things that should be hard........no problem.
Easy things that should be easy, but are actually hard..........frustrating.

Borla S
Volant CAI
BT Can
Eibach
Half-debadged

·
Premium Member
4,819 Posts
This is not a hard job. You dont need a credit card or anything else that will cause scratches.

-Heat up one letter at a time, for about a minute - if you can find a heat gun it works much better than a hair dryer.
-get some high test fishing line or string.
-once it is heated up well, slip the string under the corner of the letter - NOT under the adhesive pull back and it should pop right off, leaving little to no adhesive behind.
-Wash the area with soap and water to get off the dust around where the letters were
-If there is some adhesive, use some WD-40 and it will come right off
-Follow with a coat of wax to protect!

If done like this there should be no scratches or imperfections once completed.

·
Premium Member
7,299 Posts
I have always found the eraser type wheels for die grinders, drills or the Snap-on Crud Thug work very well......if you know how to use them they take all the adhesive off very quickly.

·
Registered
232 Posts
i did mine in my cold garage...fishing line to saw the letters off and a $7 eraser wheel attached to my drill

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
I used a small "L" Shape Dentist Tool.... Just inserted it into the foam with out touching it to the paint. And then Just pulled right off with a little heat from blow dryer. If you do it right it will pull the foam off with it and will not leave any residue... At least that was the case with mine when I did it back in '07.

·
Registered
2,557 Posts
If your trying to do it in cold weather even semi heated garage its going to be a B*TCH!

I did mine on a hot day seriously with dental floss, fishing wire would be the best but like I said cold weather sucks to debadge.

And nothing wipes off the residue like WD40 best stuff on earth wont scratch the clearcoat or anything.

Good luck.

·
Premium Member
875 Posts
This is the 2nd one I have done...this time was easy...what i use:

Heat Gun
30lbs fishing line

I also had goo gone on hand

Now Im guessing it all depends on how long they have been on your ride and since mine was new they came off easy..

You dont want to heat them up to the point that the backing starts to melt...this is why I use a heat gun not a hair dryer...the dryer will heat up the door as much as the badge...with the heat gun its like a "shock" heat blast..once you do that you will know its enough once you can slide the fishing line behind the badge ( if its gooy then you over heated) get the line behind and start lightly pulling away from the door or hood...mine just popped right off...I did not even have to use and goo gone to clean up...I hope that helps everyone

Oh and it was -15c outside when i did it ;)

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Screw the goo gone, just use gas, awesome solvent. And no it won't hurt your paint if you dont leave it on there.

Reactions: a990dna
1 - 20 of 39 Posts