Cherokee SRT8 Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a '14 GC SRT. The rims are stamped SRT so I'm fairly sure they're OEM. I've seen a number of threads where people say they are just polished, but a quick attempt to sand out the scratches and I can see there's a lot of material between the face of the finish and the material underneath (square area in photos is where I ground off a bit of finish to test). Maybe it has been painted over or had additional finish applied, I'm not sure, that's why I'm here. I just got rid of a Challenger SRT and those rims were polished but had a very thin layer of clear coat. I DIY repaired them several times and they are nothing like these. There are aspects to the finish on these rims that hint at a DIY finish.

Questions: Does anyone know what this is or what product was used? If I'm wrong and the finish is a factory finish, where can I find a replacement with the same finish?

One of the pictures shows where a bit of the finish is trying to peel away from the edge of the surface at the spot where it goes from reflective to plain black. I've highlighted this by pulling it up slightly with my finger. You can also see a bit of shininess on the brake caliper, which may be overspray of clear coat from the DIY wheel refinish performed while they were mounted.

Also, the finish looks great where it's undamaged, better than any of the rims I saw while I was shopping for GCs, so I want to keep it

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I found the build sheet and it turns out they're the OEM black chrome. If you know of any way to patch these up without a full resurfacing, please let me know.

·
Registered
4,996 Posts
I found the build sheet and it turns out they're the OEM black chrome. If you know of any way to patch these up without a full resurfacing, please let me know.
I haven't see anyone patch black chrome. Those gouges need to be fixed. I also don't think there is anyone that can re-finish to match OEM black chrome, might be better off getting them all redone.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts