Cherokee SRT8 Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So what's the deal with these? My search wasn't real helpful, neither site nor Google. Some folks are saying it adds no performance and is emissions illegal (which frankly I don't care about). Metco seems to imply that it will increase performance.

What's the skinny from the peeps in the know?

Thanks.

·
The Traveler
5,264 Posts
Curious as well. I've never look into why people use them.

Sent from my iPhone 4S

·
Premium Member
5,197 Posts
No
Performance gain from it. And it wont affect any testing. Yes there functional but dont add performance..

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Premium Lurker
4,224 Posts
When the breather hose is hooked up to the intake tube, oily vapor is sucked into the intake coating everything with an oily film. With the breather filter, the crankcase is 'vented' to the atmosphere, technically polluting the air since it's not filtered by normal emission equipment. This is why it may be considered 'emissions illegal' - because it does not route the air back into the intake for emissions purposes.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So what is the net effect, less oil for the catch can to snag? Joe what do you mean by "functional"?

Thanks for the help.

·
Premium Lurker
4,224 Posts
So what is the net effect, less oil for the catch can to snag? Joe what do you mean by "functional"?

Thanks for the help.
Net effect is less oil returning to the manifold. And yes, there will be less oil for the catch can, since a very small amount is vaporized through the breather filter.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Okay I think I get it, thanks. Now we just need Billet Tech to make one that matches their other under hood stuff.

·
Registered
971 Posts
you can pick up one from pepboys made by spectre for 10-13 $. I installed one. Has anyone noticed power loss?

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
it is 3/8ths the part number is 62-1320 thats what i used on mine its a very snug fit.

·
One, two, GIT SUM!!
1,428 Posts
you can pick up one from pepboys made by spectre for 10-13 $. I installed one. Has anyone noticed power loss?
Impossible to lose power with a breather

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.