Cherokee SRT8 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,
I have a good size crack in one of my stock rims. Found this out when putting new tires on. The tire shop said that they were not technically supposed to mount the tire on a cracked rim, but did it anyway. Question is, should i take it to my mechanic and weld the rim(TIG machine needed i think)and then rebalance the tire on the rim, or just buy a replacement rim? Let me know your thoughts. Thanks!

·
Administrator
5,855 Posts
I don't know a whole lot about wheel repair, but I wouldn't take it to a regular mechanic for a weld job. The last thing you want is a catastrophic failure at speed due to a shoddy repair job. I'm sure there are places who specialize in this though where you can get an opinion if its repairable.

Bernie

·
Registered
5,047 Posts
There are company's that specialize in wheel repairing and refinishing

I would try to find one in your area

Maybe contact your insurance company for a list of the ones they use

·
Administrator
5,855 Posts
Here's an interesting video and it seems it's doable with good results.

Bernie

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
reputable wheel repair shops should charge around $100 for this service

I have my wheels done every 2 years to fix all imperfections.

·
Registered
272 Posts
When I got mine one of the fronts had a bent inner lip, With the price of these wheels even used I had it fixed, as others have stated there are companies who do specialize in this you just have to find a reputable one and you should be good.

·
Administrator
5,855 Posts
Just noticed there's several other threads on this issue in the Similar Threads at the bottom and it seems to be not all that uncommon.

Bernie

·
Registered
245 Posts
I dont know jack about welding or rims... but based solely on the fact that you if the rim breaks or something bad happens and you can possibly FLY off the road... bro just buy a new rim. not worth a total loss and injury. IMO

·
Registered
806 Posts
I dont know jack about welding or rims... but based solely on the fact that you if the rim breaks or something bad happens and you can possibly FLY off the road... bro just buy a new rim. not worth a total loss and injury. IMO
thats bad info there reputable shops can and do make these repairs everyday,if they werent safe, one good lawsuit would put them out of business in a srt8 minute

·
Registered
5,047 Posts
:eek: :silly:

thats bad info there reputable shops can and do make these repairs everyday,if they werent safe, one good lawsuit would put them out of business in a srt8 minute
A crack in a rim would more than likely cause an air leak but sometimes not even that

1 - 10 of 10 Posts