Cherokee SRT8 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2013 Jeep SRT 97k miles
I have had the worst of luck with this Jeep it seems every month a new problem appears and it often has to do with the cooling system. I have had my radiator , water pump , radiator cap , radiator hose , thermostat all replaced in the course of like a year. Now I have a code “P0128” popping up . When the truck was running yesterday I could smell a strong scent of coolant and and popped the hood and saw coolant spraying out the radiator cap. I let the Jeep cool down and removed the radiator cap to see there’s about an inch of build up that had the texture of gelatin or pudding on the radiator cap . I love my Jeep too much to get rid of it , regardless of all it’s problems. Has anyone experienced this ?

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
On my old WK1, I’d always get coolant spray under my hood. I replace the factory cap with a STANT brand cap and that fixed the problem. Again, this was For a WK1, so I don’t know if it will help you out...

·
Registered
682 Posts
For what its worth on my last 12 that i got w 26k and totaled last mo w 88k , I went thru 2 Rad cap’s (38k,70k) 1 Water pump (38k) 1Rad.(38k)

I mvr had to replace a Rad cap on any my cars so its prolly same to Assume these caps are made like crap! Maybe an aftermarket one will work better!
i dont think the Waterpump replace is bad i think its more the Taking off front clip to access thats the pia!

·
Registered
682 Posts
I Sud also mention and im not trying to Jinxx ya but it’s common tye Damn Transcooler/Ac condenser goes as well mine went at 83k Small Tiny ittty bittty shittty leak Rt at dr side front bump and within a week to 10 day its a huge puddle that needs to be fixxed! Orm part w Install cost me just under $1100 fml!

Neil

·
Registered
6 Posts
2013 Jeep SRT 97k miles
I have had the worst of luck with this Jeep it seems every month a new problem appears and it often has to do with the cooling system. I have had my radiator , water pump , radiator cap , radiator hose , thermostat all replaced in the course of like a year. Now I have a code “P0128” popping up . When the truck was running yesterday I could smell a strong scent of coolant and and popped the hood and saw coolant spraying out the radiator cap. I let the Jeep cool down and removed the radiator cap to see there’s about an inch of build up that had the texture of gelatin or pudding on the radiator cap . I love my Jeep too much to get rid of it , regardless of all it’s problems. Has anyone experienced this ?
Yes, make sure you use "OAT" coolant, not "HOAT". If you mix the wrong types, they jell up and affect cooling efficiency.
If in doubt, the owner's manual should indicate which type.

·
Registered
481 Posts
I have had the worst of luck with this Jeep it seems every month a new problem appears and it often has to do with the cooling system.
Did you ever get this figured out? I think 2013 was the first year they stared using the OAT coolant type, same year as your Jeep. As already mentioned above you might have the wrong coolant type. Give us an update.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.