Cherokee SRT8 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know the process in getting air out of my coolant system? I replaced my coolant and water but I'm like 99 percent sure there's air in my system but can't find anywhere on here on how to bleed it.

Symptoms: Temp gauge is rising to a little over 215 then falls the about a quarter of the gauge, then back up to over 215, repeat.

Thanks!

·
The Traveler
5,264 Posts
After replacing my t-stat the air worked it's way out eventually after driving for a week or two. Then I topped the coolant reservoir off.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So just drive it with the fluctuations until the temp stays at 215? There really isn't a way to bleed the coolant system?

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
To blead the coolant of air, wait till the engine and coolant are cold. Take the radiator cap off and start the engine. Put a funnel in the radiator and let the engine idle till it gets up to operating temp. The coolant should start bubbling up. Add more coolant as needed while the engine is idling.

·
Registered
802 Posts
The method that 'pnut' mentioned is what I always did to "burp" the cooling system, I also turn the heater on high to work any air out of the heater core...after having multiple cooling system problems I also took it to the dealership and had them vacuum bleed it - just don't let them try to charge you for it, it only takes a couple minutes.

Otherwise, any air should get worked out after a few days of driving it. 215 isn't anything to worry about. When I was having issues it would sit at 230+.

If you try either of the mentioned methods, or try to let it work itself out and nothing happens improves, it could be another issue.

·
Premium Member
1,125 Posts
To blead the coolant of air, wait till the engine and coolant are cold. Take the radiator cap off and start the engine. Put a funnel in the radiator and let the engine idle till it gets up to operating temp. The coolant should start bubbling up. Add more coolant as needed while the engine is idling.
There is an actual burping funnel/radiator cap tool that you can do this with. I have one and you can buy one at auto zone for 25$. Its a neat tool. You just get the right adaptors from the bag of parts it comes with and hook it up run the jeep, turn the heat on and let it burp. I've always had great success with this tool.

Using the above mention way is a great idea too if you don't have the burp tool I mentioned.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts