Cherokee SRT8 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got these tires a month or 2 ago when it was much colder and we were getting a lot of rain. Replaced some worn Toyo Proxes STII tires that were no good in the wet or cold. Dry traction was still good.

These tires seem much softer than the Toyos. Like, I can feel the tires rolling over onto the sidewalls when turning on the highway. They make me regret getting rid of my lowering springs. This is at about 37psi each.

They ride smooth and quiet. Straight line traction is fine, but it is just concerning when turning. Feels like a regular Grand Cherokee, and not an SRT-8 with them on.

I know these are all season tires and not summer tires but I wasn't expecting this much of a difference. Oh well, just got some Michelin Pilot Super Sports for my Corvette which are amazeballs and I plan to drive the Vette most of the summer. Then in the fall the Continentals and the Jeep will make more sense.

Just wanted to post my $.02. The most recent post on these tires was from 2015.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Considering they are a top rated tire and they handle great on my wife’s x5m, I’d have to disagree with you. A softer compound would also handle better than a harder compound tire

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Considering they are a top rated tire and they handle great on my wife’s x5m, I’d have to disagree with you. A softer compound would also handle better than a harder compound tire

It feels like the sidewalls are squishy. Or like my sway bars are disconnected. I'm getting it looked at to see if anything is wrong.

Or, maybe my Corvette is making me think the Jeep handles like a food truck.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Here's some pics of the tires I took today. It has an odd looking wear mark along the edge between the tread and the sidewall. Perhaps where it is rolling onto the sidewall?

Attachments

·
Registered
148 Posts
That is actually normal wear for the Continentals. When shopping for lightly used tires you will see most have that wear. I have them on my Hellcat with no corning issues, had them on my 300 SRT with no issues and my GF has them on her Subaru and she makes me car sick while driving.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I have the Conti's on my wifes ML63 and notice no performance issues. Im sure they are softer then the summer pirellis, we dont track her ML but for everyday driving they have been very reliable.

·
Registered
178 Posts
It feels like the sidewalls are squishy. Or like my sway bars are disconnected. I'm getting it looked at to see if anything is wrong.

Or, maybe my Corvette is making me think the Jeep handles like a food truck.

We have a similar feeling when we bring the summer vehicles out. You get use to a car built for performance and handling and get into a 5k lb suv that just makes more power than most. It’s apples to oranges. Should try getting out of a corvette and into a lifted truck. It’s like driving a boat

·
Registered
2,194 Posts
What tire pressures are you running?

I have run the Jeep regularly in autocross and outer edge wear is the big problem. You won't be able to dial in very much negative camber, so minimizing toe is advised.

Your air pressure should be around 45 psi to help reduce this wear. It will stiffen the tire and reduce rolling over on the sidewall. This is a heavy beast, which is murder on the sidewalls.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts