Cherokee SRT8 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I had a few questions about each motor, any info would be awesome.
Assuming both motors had headers, correct cam, ported intake.

-Hp/ torque on average for each. ( to the wheels)
-Pros/cons for each.
-Highway mpg( just curious)
-eta for each setup with vreds, full interior and both with correct suspension

My budget recently got bumped up a little so I though I may go a big n/a route
Since it will be daily driven.

·
Registered
5,017 Posts
I had a few questions about each motor, any info would be awesome.
Assuming both motors had headers, correct cam, ported intake.

-Hp/ torque on average for each. ( to the wheels)
-Pros/cons for each.
-Highway mpg( just curious)
-eta for each setup with vreds, full interior and both with correct suspension

My budget recently got bumped up a little so I though I may go a big n/a route
Since it will be daily driven.
I only have a 426, so can answer half....
I dyno'd 500awhp/500awtq
combined i hit 10mpg, i think the most i saw on the highway was 14-15
i haven't been to the track, but mid 11's from what i've read/heard

Reactions: bushmaster3000

·
RIP Chuck G.
6,339 Posts
My experience having had both a 426 and 440 is basically apples to apples the peak numbers
On the dyno can be the same. The difference is torque, the 440 will make considerably more torque
At lower rpms.

The cons of the 440 are basically the stroke shortening the longevity of the motor. The ultimate decision
Is really what you short and long term goals are.

If you want the most possible power NA go 440. If you may want to boost in the future I would take this purchase
very seriously and chose carefully.

If you are nuts like me and constantly want more than I will elaborate further if you like.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Will a high compression 426 handle a vortech at 6 psi? Basically I would like my motor to push me into mid 11s. If that isn't enough then maybe a turbo or vortech later.

-jerod

·
RIP Chuck G.
6,339 Posts
Will a high compression 426 handle a vortech at 6 psi? Basically I would like my motor to push me into mid 11s. If that isn't enough then maybe a turbo or vortech latery
-jerod
A high comp 426 will handle boost but would recommend a thicker head gasket to lower compression.
I believe 10 PS I would be the Max that is recommended from any vendor.
Where do you live?

·
Registered
5,017 Posts
I think a strong NA block will get you 11.5's no problem. PWR has a 426 in a challenger hat just ran a 10.9xx over the weekend.

·
Premium Member
3,325 Posts
Mid 11's from a 426 is not a problem. Higshemi, af_manieac, and lchevere have all run mid 11's with their 426's.

AF_Manieac now has a 440 with new heads/cam and you might see some 10's out of it this year.

Here is a strong NA 426 (560/500)

Here is a 440 with same basic camshaft and slightly different everything else. (560/540)

Both made right at 560rwhp but the 440 achieved it much lower in the rpm range. I will try to get the dyno operator to overlay them tomorrow.

At 5252rpm the 426 is making right at 500rwhp/500rwtq, the 440 is making about 540rwhp//540rwtq at that same rpm. These dyno pulls were both done on the same dyno.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Wow those are some good numbers! I would be happy with those kindf of numbers and times. Hey Andy, it will still be a few months until I'm ready to purchase a 426 if I go that route but I would appreciate a quote if you have time.

·
Registered
832 Posts
Not to step on anyones toes, but you might wanna give LPM a call as well. They are in the vendor section. The numbers below speak for themselves and I should easily improve on those numbers as soon as I get a few issues resolved on the truck and start running it again. There is a graph somewhere on here that shows my N/A 631HP and 579tq.

·
Registered
832 Posts
Me either, and I'm sorry if you mistook it. It certainly wasn't meant to be an argument. There are certainly many vendors and I was just pointing one out that I am obviously partial to. Just pointing LPM out as another vendor and some facts about one of their builds in particular. There is really no grounds for an argument at all anyway.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I assure you I am not only contacting one vender, not because of quality but because of location.

·
Premium Lurker
4,232 Posts
Will a high compression 426 handle a vortech at 6 psi? Basically I would like my motor to push me into mid 11s. If that isn't enough then maybe a turbo or vortech later.

-jerod
The cons of the 440 are basically the stroke shortening the longevity of the motor. The ultimate decision Is really what you short and long term goals are.

If you want the most possible power NA go 440. If you may want to boost in the future I would take this purchase very seriously and chose carefully.
Chris makes a good point here.... you need to factor in what your ultimate goals are. If you're looking to stay N/A, then the 440 is the way to go. But if you're thinking about adding any type of forced induction, then the 440 has more inherent risk. Like Andy said, there are a number of N/A 426 builds currently running mid-11s, so you may not even need a 440 to achieve your goal. Try starting off with a high-comp 426, and then if that ever gets boring, throw on thicker head gaskets and slap on the blower of your choice!

·
Registered
341 Posts
Chris makes a good point here.... you need to factor in what your ultimate goals are. If you're looking to stay N/A, then the 440 is the way to go. But if you're thinking about adding any type of forced induction, then the 440 has more inherent risk. Like Andy said, there are a number of N/A 426 builds currently running mid-11s, so you may not even need a 440 to achieve your goal. Try starting off with a high-comp 426, and then if that ever gets boring, throw on thicker head gaskets and slap on the blower of your choice!
Thats what i recommend a high-comp 426 with a aggressive cam but still good for drivability. That what im have and just waiting for my PWR cam

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I think that's exactly what I will do, sounds like a better plan for me than just a vortech on a 6.1. I dunno but I would feel better knowing I have a built/bullet proof motor to handle what even I do :D. Plus my pops has a shop that I can install the motor in.

·
Registered
832 Posts
This is very true. Well, depending on how you arrive at 440ci (for a boosted app) as there is more than one way to get there. However, as a whole the above statement is correct and you should definitely consider what the ultimate goal is. I will say that high compression is not necessary to acheive what you seem to be looking for, and generally speaking, the trade-off isn't that great for HP per point in compression anyway. I will also point out that going to a thick gasket isn't the smartest way to do things once you get above a certain point, especially if you intend to run high boost. While it will work up to that point, it is not the best way to do it if you want to do it right. I could go on about the how's and why's, but the info above should be sufficient. Call a few vendors and find out which one gives you the best option.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Ok here's what I'm thinking.
A 426 that will put me at least to mid 11s, then later down the road run mild boost if I get bored. I'm not looking to run 15 psi or anything. Maybe just a vortech or single turbo.

·
Registered
832 Posts
OK, then a good 426 will do that for sure. You don't need high compression to do what you are looking for. Give the vendors a call and decide which one gives you the best option. However, you should remember when deciding that it is very easy to turn a knob to make more power and it is very addictive! In other words, your "mild" boost idea can very easily escalate to high boost with a turbo setup! Not that you can't turn up the boost with a SC, but it is more difficult. Build it right, especailly if you are considering running a turbo. There are a few around that can attest that it is much cheaper and less total down time to do it right the first time around.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts