Cherokee SRT8 Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So this is the first really cold morning of the season and the Low Pressure Warning Light was on with the tire pressures showing between 28 and 30 PSI. I would not really call this "Low Pressure" when it is 10 Degrees out.

Does anyone know if the dealer is able to lower the Low Pressure threshold to avoid this every cold morning?

·
Has Been
8,532 Posts
Unfortunately I do not have an answer to your question, but I get this error on a weekly basis in my jeep LOL and its annoying as hell. Damn cold weather always causing my tire pressure to fluctuate.

·
Registered
14,287 Posts
When it gets cold the warning light will come on....Most of the time when you warm the tires up the light goes off. (by normal driving)

Or, Pump them up!

·
Registered
11,237 Posts
When it gets cold the warning light will come on....Most of the time when you warm the tires up the light goes off. (by normal driving)

Or, Pump them up!
Exactly , the pressure comes down with the cold , and once below i believe 28psi it will let you know . so keep it 34-35 psi when cold .

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Yup, I put a couple extra psi in each tire when the temps drop this low .. a smaller foot print is also better for snow driving ! ( how ever much of a minuet difference it may make )

·
Premium Member
5,199 Posts
At normal driving i keep them at 40 in front and 38 in back. During the cold they drop to about 32-36 wich i like because the vreds when
Cold dont hold the road the best so the lower pressure kinda helps a little with traction. But dont go speeding around corners with them when its cold. Yull be sorry

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Marathon Man
3,229 Posts
One word will fix that problem

nitrogen

·
Registered
130 Posts
One word will fix that problem

nitrogen
I agree. I run nitrogen in all of my vehicles and find that they are less prone to trigger the low pressure warning when it is cold. I use Nitrofill which also comes with a 12 month road hazzard warranty for the tires, I believe and some other nice perks. Its pretty cheap too (I think it was $30 or $40 for all 4 tires). They'll also add nitrogen for free if the pressure does drop. Its supposed to be better for the tires, etc. etc. - I think their website lists all of the features and benefits of their product.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Pressure=(Gas Constant)*(Temperature)/Volume

Gas constant is...constant
volume is roughly constant
So when Temperature goes down pressure goes down.

Just thought I would bring some nerd to this thread :D

And about the nitrogren, I'm sure it helps some but Air is about 3/4 nitrogren already. You can buy a large (5 foot tall) tank and have it filled with nitrogen for about about 50 dollars. It will come at about 3,000 psi so you can just use a regulator to step it down. Maybe cheaper than taking it somewhere.

·
Premium Member
1,050 Posts
They key word is COLD. If you look at your door plaque it says XX PSI COLD. This means with the tire at ambient temperature. I set my tire pressure in a 70F garage year round so in the summer I set them a 1-2 PSI lower and in the winter 4-5 PSI higher. 10F change = about 1 PSI.

BTW - dry air has a lower gas constant than N2. Look it up.

·
Super Moderator
11,037 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I am aware of the ins and outs of the the cold and tire pressure I just would like to keep the tires at spec and lower the level that the alarm is triggered.

I know in my F350 I was able to have Ford set the pressure threshold lower for my Mickey Thompsons I was just wondering if anyone knew if Jeep dealers can do the same thing.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
I am aware of the ins and outs of the the cold and tire pressure I just would like to keep the tires at spec and lower the level that the alarm is triggered.

I know in my F350 I was able to have Ford set the pressure threshold lower for my Mickey Thompsons I was just wondering if anyone knew if Jeep dealers can do the same thing.
Why not keep the jeep tires where there spose to be at cold pressure so the light doesn't come on in the first place....seems so simple to me :cool:

·
Registered
487 Posts
Why not keep the jeep tires where there spose to be at cold pressure so the light doesn't come on in the first place....seems so simple to me :cool:
The tires my heat up and gain to much pressure during normal driving conditions?

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
The tires my heat up and gain to much pressure during normal driving conditions?
They arnt going to gain 12 psi and go from 28-40psi in the winter. 34psi cold in the summer heat up to about 38-40psi while driving. In the winter if you have them at 34psi cold they will go up to about 38ish while driving. Im sure his are only getting up to about 32-34 while driving since they are too low to begin with....seems so clear to me that thats wrong but to each his own if you want to run on low tires. Manufactures have it at 34psi cold for a reason....

·
The Traveler
5,264 Posts
My nitrogen filled stock good years heat up 3-5 pounds from cold to running temp. I have mine set to be around 33-35lbs cold in my current weather conditions.

Sent from my iPhone 4S

·
Registered
467 Posts
Does anyone know if the dealer is able to lower the Low Pressure threshold to avoid this every cold morning?
I'm going to bet no dealer in the world would touch the low pressure threshold and risk being sued if something were to happen......if they could even do it, which I doubt.

The tires may heat up and gain to much pressure during normal driving conditions?
They don't heat up as much in colder temps, so they won't gain too much pressure from driving. Just put a few more psi's in for the winter to maintain the proper pressure.

Reactions: JohnsonSRT8

·
Registered
195 Posts
I had the Dealer install my 4 VREDs this week and they are all at 40 PSI. This seems high to me....what do you guys think? It's 75-80 degrees out. I kept my previous set ov VREDs at around 32-34 PSI and they were worn out in 12k miles.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.