Cherokee SRT8 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I traded up to a new GC 2012 and so far it has not been a very good experience and is the most problematic of any of the SRT8s I've ever owned.

First off, as I mentioned in a snow thread, mine came with 3 season tires and I live in Canada. The Jeep might as well be a toboggan with those tires. I got that problem fixed only to realize at 500km there is a hole or leak or something under the front seats that lets cold air in - my passenger and I were both thoroughly chilled after a 10 km drive today.

The heat in the Jeep is working fine (the blower is particularly fierce) but the seats are freezing. The heated seat option works but it can barely keep up with the cold air that's coming in. It doesn't seem to be drafty it just seems to hang there making the back of your legs extremely uncomfortable. It was -8 C today.

I did a search and couldn't find anyone else posting about this. Is there anyone in a cold part of Canada who can comment? Needless to say I am talking it back in to my dealer again tomorrow.

· Registered
405 Posts
the tire issue seems self inflicted to me. you live in canada. it's winter. and you choose summer tires? or, did you order all seasons and they delivered the wrong thing?

no idea about the cold seat thing. my seats feel fine and i've used the heated seats (and steering wheel) pretty much everyday since buying the jeep a few weeks back.

· The Traveler
5,264 Posts
I agree, the tires seems more to be your own fault unless you ordered it and it came with the wrong tires. When I bought my WK2 from the dealership it was equipped with 3 seasons tires. I took notice and got them changed to the all seasons because I need those tires. The 3 seasons are not meant to be used in weather below 40* Fahrenheit.

As for the other issue. I have to ask. You are not hitting the button for ventilated seats up front are you? It's the button next to the heated seat button. It shows a blue light when on. The heated seats show an orange light. I've had my WK2 in cold temps single digits and felt no drafts inside. But turn those ventilated seats on and it'll cool you down quick.

Reactions: tylerbee955

· Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies.

As for the tires, my dealer said he just "ticked off all the options" so it was his fault and he admitted so. I gave no thought to the tires as my 2007 came with all seasons and was always reasonable enough in the snow. My dealer knew this was my winter vehicle and said he didn't read what he was ticking off closely enough. That problem is solved - I own all 8 tires now and got the summers for a very discounted rate.

I have played with every setting including the vented seats (low, high, off) and those work - I can hear and feel the fan blowing through the seats. That's not the issue. It's like the seats literally have a hole under them where they are bolted to the floor. The metal underneath is so cold damp hands freeze to it immediately and as I mentioned the back of the legs get cold immediately and it spreads throughout your body - the heat tries to combat it but can't keep up. Oddly enough you can roll down both front windows at the drive thru and the heat keeps the cold out pretty much so no complaints with the heater.

Maybe I have a bad one or maybe it's not cold enough where you guys live to experience it. It's back at the dealers right now where I took the owner for a short drive and he declared "something is definitely wrong".

I'll post how it ends.

· The Traveler
5,264 Posts
Good to know things are working out in your favor. Keep us posted on the cold air issue. Like you said, maybe it's not cold enough for us to notice it?

Sent from my iPhone 4S

· Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
No kidding re: -30.

Love the blue Jeep in your sig!! :D

· Registered
223 Posts
I've been driving mine all winter. We just had a cold snap here in Wisconsin where it was single digits hovering around 0 F. I didn't go on long trips, but have to say I have nothing close to your complaint. My heater is warm and there is no cold air under the seats. If your dealer cannot help u, maybe there is a access panel left out or something. Pull the carpet up and see what's under there. Maybe there is a flapper valve that won't close in the cabin ventilation Is there cold air blowing out the foot vents? There may be vents under the seats for the rear passengers? Check those.

· Registered
232 Posts
Thanks for the replies.

As for the tires, my dealer said he just "ticked off all the options" so it was his fault and he admitted so. ........It's back at the dealers right now where I took the owner for a short drive and he declared "something is definitely wrong".

I'll post how it ends.
Treasure your dealer! I hope you get him a gift - box of candy or something. Do you know how blessed you are? A dealer that (1) admits his mistake and (2) acknowledges your problem? All I can say is wow!

And, by the way, enjoy your Jeep. Once you get past the problems, I think you'll have a blast.

· Registered
1 Posts
Hi Tylerbee955, I have the same issue with my 2013 grand cherokee overland. Did you ever get this solved and can you share what it was? My dealer acknoledges that there is a problem but doesn't know the cause or how to resolve. thanks in advance

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.