Cherokee SRT8 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,
I have a 2014 with around 50k miles on it. I have a clunk and I know it is not normal. However it is very difficult to describe the location and the timing of it. But what I can tell is that it is clunky when coming to a stop and it is downshifting. When I am driving and let off the gas then get back on it will clunk. What can I check? I feel like it is a driveline clunk but right now I cannot isolate it but I know it is there. I have taken it to Jeep and they did everything they could but still could not feel anything. What is the most common place to check for driveline clunks?

Thank you all for the help!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey yessir! I did the diffs and the tcase a few months ago. The tcase was pretty dark. I am not sure if it was ever changed. I got under and wiggled everything I could to try to find anything loose and everything looks pretty good and tight. The only thing is the front diff can be easily moved with a 12" screwdriver and so can the trans/tcase mount.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I ordered a camera with an external microphone just now. I am going to mount it at all suspected locations to see if I can isolate the noise or see any crazy movement on anything that may lead me in the right direction. I feel like that is a better step than replacing everything I can touch haha.

It is in really good condition but also you never know if the previous owner tracked it a lot either or just used it to put around.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Rarely mine will do this too but its not as prominent as you are describing in yours and I think most people who had not driven it for the last 8 years may not notice but it is exactly as you describe just more muted. It wont do it in snow mode ever on mine.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That is really weird. I did notice it is a lot more prominent in sport mode. So maybe in the back rear of the car? I put my gopro underneath and looked at a lot of stuff and it looks good and tight. Nothing looks like it is banging around or having too much movement. For fun I am going to do another rear diff change and see about getting my trans fluid changed since it is at 50k. I know ZF recommends 50k trans fluid changes and with it being built in mid 2013 the fluid is definitely older. It cant hurt really.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hey all,
I have a 2014 with around 50k miles on it. I have a clunk and I know it is not normal. However it is very difficult to describe the location and the timing of it. But what I can tell is that it is clunky when coming to a stop and it is downshifting. When I am driving and let off the gas then get back on it will clunk. What can I check? I feel like it is a driveline clunk but right now I cannot isolate it but I know it is there. I have taken it to Jeep and they did everything they could but still could not feel anything. What is the most common place to check for driveline clunks?

Thank you all for the help!
Yes i just had this problem. No one could figure it out untill I had starter replaced and they found my diff mounts were completely worn out.. for me I could only hear it when I down shifted or went from reverse to drive... Hope this helps! Get the poly bushings if you don't mind a little vibration. If you want stock smooth ride get the oem rubber ones. There is also a second bushing you ma as well replace while your down there.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts